Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

post hole borer

Options
  • 28-04-2011 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭

Has anyone here ever used one for fencing would you think they would be any good on hard pencil ground
    I have a bit of fencing to do and ground is a bit hard and dry at the moment
    I was thinking of buying one on ebay
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrs2X2qC_A8

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭O.A.P

Sorry djmc I have no experince with one of them but I think yourman on the video knew that they were no stones only soft soil under him before he started. On hard or stoney ground I think the chances of breaking a wrist would be pretty high though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

Ya yer man in the video makes it very easy looking all right
    I was thinking of a 3 inch bit for the small posts but dont know how it would work in the real world
    The other option is the tractor driven type but they are a lot more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭Dozer1

Why not hire one from your local tool hire first? Most hire places have them now, my inlaws had one out a few weeks ago for planting trees and hedging for REPS, great little tool but no idea how it would last on pencil ground, I don't think it would last too long though. I hired the tractor operatered one a few years ago aswell, its more robust alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭st1979

I used 1 fencing a house for post and rail where the marly clay garden was too wet for a tractor. No stones but it used to catch on the hard marl and get stuck or try to take your arm off. So wouuld not reccommed it

Thanks lads I never thought about hiring one will try local tool hire first
    All the ground wouldnt be that stoney Im a bit lazy about belting posts with a sledge hammer in this weather.
    I have used the tractor loader before but the posts often fall before I get the
    loader bucket on them and I feel like a jack in the box hoping on and off the tractor all day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

I've used one before, they're a handy tool but the post will never be as tight in the ground as one driven with post driver

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭charityboy

hire one out and use it for a day and look at that video again to see where you are going wrong :D i used one of these for three days in a row on ground where a tractor or digger could not travel (very steep hill ) broke up wouldnt even come close to describing how i felt after it ,if there is even a hint of stones id reccomend two people holding it might save a broken wrist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

charityboy wrote: »
    if there is even a hint of stones id reccomend two people holding it might save a broken wrist

The only place I've really seen those machines in action is on TV, usually in the Arctic with two scientists (?) holding it drilling through the ice.

You won't need the scientists but I figure I'd agree with CharityBoy, can think it may hurt one person in a number of ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mf690

You will need two people if ground anyway hard . Very hard work keeping the machine straight probably less work with the sledge. I'd never hire one again.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭holuc

Used 1 of these for planting plants. ok on good ground but gives ya afair twist when it catches a stone. JUst use a crowbar and post pounder 2 drive the stakes. chepaer option!!

• Advertisement

Thanks for replys I dont think I will bother with it based on peoples first hand experience here
    The tractor type one sounds like a safer bet at some stage

Advertisement