Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

grazing cattle for neighbouring farmer

Options
  • 27-04-2011 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

Neighbouring farmer asked me to graze 40 young bulls for him for the summer months........have very good fences with strand of electric on top have plenty of grazing ground this year as we are taking one big cut of silage and will have plenty of aftergrass coming in...was goin to buy in cattle myself but they are serious prices at the minute...He wants me to graze his bulls at a per head per day system....what you think i could ask... i would be buying and sowing the fertiliser replys appreciated thanks.............:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Curious Geroge

hi, it all depends on what part of the country you in, how many acres of grass, is all grazing going to be after grass and are you only spreading for the silage grass and/or slurry out on that grassland ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭stanflt

ally k wrote: »
    Neighbouring farmer asked me to graze 40 young bulls for him for the summer months........have very good fences with strand of electric on top have plenty of grazing ground this year as we are taking one big cut of silage and will have plenty of aftergrass coming in...was goin to buy in cattle myself but they are serious prices at the minute...He wants me to graze his bulls at a per head per day system....what you think i could ask... i would be buying and sowing the fertiliser replys appreciated thanks.............:confused:

it will take at least 20acres of good ground and you would want to be strip grassing every day- iknow this is a lot of work but rewards are second to none
    i know lads doing it for 1.50euro a head per day

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭ally k

thanks for replys.. sorry forgot to say i am in donegal these cattle will be on grazing ground until the silage is cut in or around a months time then they will be on the aftergrass for the remainder of the grazing term.....I asked him 1.50 a head per day today he looked at me and asked me was i drunk and said it was too much.... would it be worth my while at 1 euro a day will have loads of grass to graze off.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭ihatetractors

€120 per acre + fert
    How much would you make buying in/ whats the oppertunity cost of running his cattle and doing it your way?

Advertisement