Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Singularity

Options
  • 27-04-2011 10:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭

Just finally got around to buying this recently, after putting it off for so long on the basis of not being overly impressed by the look of it. Totally blown away by how good it is - if I had to describe it as anything, I would nearly call it 'Bioshock Lite'. More linear, but a lot of similar gameplay mechanics, such as audio recordings, notes, a decidedly plasmid-ish ability, and a vaguely similar theme (exploring a heavily inhabited island dormant since the 1950's after a catastrophic accident involving newly discovered materials; very similar to the idea of the plasmids in Rapture).

Anyway, yeah, for the price it retails at now, this is definitely an underrated gem. Kicking myself thinking about how long it's been out and equally how long I've been snubbing in in favour of far worse games.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

agreed, i really enjoyed it i have to say

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Yea very under rated as i said at the time it borrows from loads of games like Bioshock half life 2 etc but rather than feeling like a rip off it feels familiar. Only 12 euro brand new in HMV the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

Loved it also, very underrated indeed, very strong gameplay mechanics along with some great aspects of Bioshock, Hl2 and Wolfenstein.

12e?
    Bargain! you'd probarly get a tenner if ya trade it back in in HMV also.:D

I just got around to playing Vanquish that was released the same time,(literally just finished it) another gem that wasn't heavily marketed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I like the summer when i've a chance to go back and find those gems i either didn't buy or didn't complete as there were too many releases around the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I got it when it came out after reading a couple of good reviews and enjoyed it. It isnt in anyway original but its still a pretty good game. If it's going for cheap it's definitely worth picking up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

this has been on my radar since release. I'm currently working my way through a backlog of overlooked gems so this will have to wait a bit longer for me yet I fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Thought it was complete garbage to be honest with you. Stole its ideas from any game you care to name only did them all worse. One of the most criminal uses of the UE3 to date, with the WORST texture pop in issues ive ever seen. Hell, soemties the textures just didnt bother popping in at all, maybe they found a better game to be part of, i dunno. Even on the PC version, textures just wouldnt load at all sometimes.

I just thought it was a crimial waste of ideas too, here youve got a game that bases it premise around being able to manipulate **** in the past to control the future. So what do you spend your time doing? Reanimating dinosaur DNA? Bringing a hovercar back from the future? Nope. Repairing broken boxes. WOW. Thrill a minute. Oh wait, repairing broken staircases too.
    About the only thing i liked was the multiple endings.

I have a high threshold for games most people consider average/bad (i ****ing loved 2009's Wolfenstein, adored Metro 2033, hell i even finished 2008's turok reboot) but id rather watch an audience with cliff richard than spend an evening playing this again

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭AllYourBass

I found the game quite enjoyable to be honest, especially the multiplayer, which is a highly unusual occurence. The single player was good, not great, but enough for me to blaze through on the hardest difficulty for the achievements.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Sraw

Picked this game up a few months back on a whim and have to say I really enjoyed it. Part of that could have been down to me, not expecting much from it. Never got to try the online side of it as it just seemed dead at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

after reading this thread I think I'll pick it up.Loved Bioshock1+2 and half 2,plus the reviews are good for it.Dont know how I missed it when it was first released.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

One of the most criminal uses of the UE3 to date, with the WORST texture pop in issues ive ever seen. Hell, soemties the textures just didnt bother popping in at all, maybe they found a better game to be part of, i dunno.
    This right here? An amazing gaming related joke, and such a great burn. I lol'd. Kudos!

I've had my eye on Singularity of late, they were saying it was very good and overlooked on the Joystiq podcast.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I started it, then it got put aside with other games. First reaction was Bioshock/Half Life hybrid without being quite as good as either. Still well worth 12 euro. I think that and metro 2033 came out close enough together and both were largely overlooked, singularity more so

Advertisement