Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tail painting cows

Options
  • 27-04-2011 8:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭

I topped up the tail paint on the cows this evening as its over a week since i've done it. It didnt go well. By the time i'd finished, the parlour looked like a slurry tanker had exploded in the pit.

Any handy ways to tail paint would be appreciated.

I normally walk behind them on the parlour floor and use a tailpaint bottle and brush and do them walking behind. Not only dangerous , with cows kicking me off and hitting my chin on the rumprail, but if it was quicker and done in the pit, everyone would be less stressed:rolleyes:

Thanks in advance:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

the initial tail paint id put them in the crush, but if i was just topping up id let them walk through the open crush on their way to fresh grass, usually in the opposite direction to where they where the previous grazing, usually end up having to lock up a crush or two of heifers at the end.
    or if you gathering yard is nice and tight do them there, might take a milking or two though to get them all.
    reckon i should get very close to the 3 weeks out our first application.

breeding seems to be going well at the moment with a reasonable amount cycling. 8 days in and 30% of them served, could be a little better though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭stanflt

i tail paint regularly-i do it in the pit
    i use tins of spray pant, its not messy or am i doing it wrong
    i also use a different colour every week-i only have 2paint 3-4 at a time

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭bt12

i saw a length of pipe bolted on the pit wall just below the kerb, acts as a step for tail painting very handy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

5live wrote: »
    I topped up the tail paint on the cows this evening as its over a week since i've done it. It didnt go well. By the time i'd finished, the parlour looked like a slurry tanker had exploded in the pit.

Any handy ways to tail paint would be appreciated.

I normally walk behind them on the parlour floor and use a tailpaint bottle and brush and do them walking behind. Not only dangerous , with cows kicking me off and hitting my chin on the rumprail, but if it was quicker and done in the pit, everyone would be less stressed:rolleyes:

Thanks in advance:)

you didnt use emulsion and an actual paintbrush , did you

imo , the best tail paint for heat detection is the crayon , clean , easy to use , second best is the paint which donegal crameries sell , with the brush part of the lid of the bottle

• Registered Users Posts: 39 kk_man

I have tried everything over the years, spray crayons and the thing I use now is a small roller thats used to paint behind radiators. Its about 18 inchs long so just do the cows comfortably from pit. Most of our discussion group do the same. Could do with using the real tail paint tho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭John_F

thought i saw gregg care (google them) have a back pack and an applicator gun

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I used to do it in the collecting yard after milking, steel toe wellies would have been a big help!

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 733 ✭✭✭jeff greene

I do them at the barrier as feeding there, very fast. Have done them in collection yard too. At the moment, heats are so strong, most cows backs are nearly bleeding its easy spot them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

do it in the pit. basically i have a paint brush(held on with insul. tape) on end of one those small roller thing(roller gone)at right angles to handle.no jumping up and down and easy to load in the paint tin.adds about 18" to it so i can reach tailheads from the floor of the pit

Advertisement