Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips on getting a career in psychology started?

Options
  • 27-04-2011 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭

Well, as the thread sugests, i'm currently looking to start a career in psychology. i'll give you a bit of my background. I'm in my late twenties, working in a secure job in the financial services industry. However, i've absolutely no interest in this sector. I've always thought about studying psychology and now i'm going to give it a go.

I decided to sign up for a foundation course in counselling and psychotherapy in pci college. it's relatively cheap and i thought it would provide me with a good taster of what it would be like to study psychology before i commit to taking on a major course.

After researching the various studying areas in psychology, i believe i would be most interested in the counselling area. I myself had an anxiety disorder and recovered by using cognitive behaviour therapy. I have since attended a behavioural group which i now help run. I enjoy the work and I get a great source of pleasure in helping others overcome the problems i had. Hence, my desire to become a counsellor.

So, I would appreciate any advice on what courses would be able be the best to help me achieve my goal, etc? any other general advice would also be welcome.

cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Have you looked at this?

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭greengiant09

yes, i have....some of it was very helpful while other parts were confusing. i can see this forum gets a lot of repeat questions which must do your head in! however, it is very difficult from an 'outsider' point of view to see a clear path to attaining a career in psychology.

it does seem quite daunting beginning a career in this area. it certainly seems quite different from other areas of study.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭psycjay

Work backwards.

If you want to be a clinical or counseling psychologist you will need a post-grad qualification in those areas.

In order to attain these you usually need a 2.1 or a 1st in an accredited psychology degree and about 2 years relevant experience. In reality it is the experience that is key here, these courses are extremely hard to get into.

In order to get a degree you can go back as a mature student and do it through arts, or science as is the case in Maynooth.

Take a look at the PSI website, they list all the undergrad and postgraduate courses.

I am currently weeks away from finishing my own degree. I too came to college as a mature student after working in business for a few years. Before that I completed a part time diploma in psychology just to see whether I would like the field. I've studied psychology for 5 years, and I'm probably half way to a professional qualification... if I'm lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

The first thing you need to decide on is whether you want to be a psychotherapist or a counselling psychologist, the PCI course will be of little use if you want to go down the psychology road, whereas it may be helpful if you are looking at becoming a psychotherapist.

If you want to be a psychologist start looking at degrees in psychology, psychology is a long road to travel and if you train as a therapist you may start seeing patients earlier. However, it depends on the specific training, for example training in psychoanalytic psychotherapy can be a very long road too.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭greengiant09

thanks everyone for the replies.....maybe i'm getting a little ahead of myself. think i'll do the foundation course and see how that works out. i'm sure i'll be able to talk to people in the college who could advise if i want to continue studying after and draw up some sort of a plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

thanks everyone for the replies.....maybe i'm getting a little ahead of myself. think i'll do the foundation course and see how that works out. i'm sure i'll be able to talk to people in the college who could advise if i want to continue studying after and draw up some sort of a plan.

Best of luck with it, however, I would still recommend using here as you continue your journey. Some courses are only interested in getting their fees, and the posters here studied in various colleges and can share their experience of various colleges, courses etc.

It will be a long journey if you want to work in a clinical position either as a psychologist or psychotherapist, but try to enjoy the journey to whatever destination you end up at.

Advertisement