Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basking Shark sighting

Options
  • 22-04-2011 9:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0422/shark.html
    The Irish Basking Shark Project says 30 basking sharks have been sighted in Dingle Bay in Co Kerry this week.
    It says chances of seeing the second-largest fish in the sea over the bank holiday weekend are high.

I go to Dingle for a week every May with herself and the kids. Would LOVE to see some baskers...
    Basking%20shark%2002.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Good stuff - I just hope they aren't overly harrassed by any onlookers!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 tnhop

FYI

Today between 1:40 and 2:45 p.m. we saw a basking shark near Guileen, Co. Cork (Latitude: 51º 47' 30.2496" Longitude: -8º 11' 56.9322")

Very impressive ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Time to get a tin of plankton and go bait fishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

In case you dont know OP its good to report the sighting to the irish Whale and Dolphin Group. You can do it on their website here

I'm hoping to see a few this weekend as I'll be in Kerry and there has been 20 tagged in Dingle bay in last few weeks. They are some sight in the water, particularly if they surface a few yards from you :D

Already reported to www.baskingshark.ie :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Moved from angling forum.

sorry

Advertisement