Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Female Writers

Options
  • 27-04-2011 5:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭

Can anybody recommend books by female authors? I always mean to pick up more books written by women. I have read the Brontes, Austen etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I've recently discovered Kate Atkinson and I'm really enjoying her novels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭diddlybit

I really adore A. M. Homes, especially her short stories.

Also love Ali Smith and Jeanette Winterson.

Try Anne Enright if you are interested in Irish literature, I know a lot of people didn't like The Gathering but I loved it. Or Kate O' Brien, newly reveived author who was writing in the thirties to fifties. Read Emma Donoghue's Room a while back, it was great and haven't met anyone who didn't enjoy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hookah

E Annie Proulx.

Author of 'The Shipping News' and 'Brokeback Mountain', amongst others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Nhead

Thanks all:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

Jodi Picolt
    Cecelia Ahern
    Lauren Weisburger
    Anne Rice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Gneez

Currently reading V by A.C Crispin and it's not very good

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Audrey Niffenegger (Time Traveller's Wife) and anything by Diana Athill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

+1 for E Annie Proulx

If you've read Jane Eyre, you should read Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys.

I also recommend:
    Arundhati Roy - The God of Small Things
    Elizabeth Bowen (Anglo-Irish novelist writing around the time of the War of Independence)
    Nadine Gordimer (South African writer most famous for her anti-apartheid writings)
    Agatha Christie
    Margaret Atwood (sort of science fiction)
    Harper Lee (To kill a Mockingbird is one of my favourite novels)
    MM Kaye (big historical novels set in India in colonial times).

The Little House on the Prarie books by Laura Ingalls Wilder are pretty good too - most people think of the tv series but the books are far superior, especially if you wanted to be a cowgirl when you grew up.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭chasmcb

Another vote for E Annie Proulx here.

And Flannery O'Connor, strikingly distinctive writer. Lorrie Moore is another I've read and enjoyed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I enjoy some Amelie Nothomb.
    Also a range of female fantasy writers, but I suppose you are looking for general fiction?

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote: »
    I enjoy some Amelie Nothomb.
    Also a range of female fantasy writers, but I suppose you are looking for general fiction?

No, shoot away on the fantasy writers too:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Nhead wrote: »
    No, shoot away on the fantasy writers too:)

In that case: kate elliot, katharine kerr, robin hobb :)

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

Seeing as you have already read the Brontës and Jane Austen you've possibly also already read Virginia Woolf's work, but if not I would recommend it - I return to her work again and again, and find myself newly amazed every time.

Pat Barker's Regeneration trilogy is also well worth checking out and I would second the votes for Annie Proulx (especially her short story collections) and Jeanette Winterson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭sallydan

Id like to add lori lansens to that list! rush home road is a beautiful book

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Dibble

I really enjoyed Margaret Atwood's The Blind Assassin :)

Dibble wrote: »
    I really enjoyed Margaret Atwood's The Blind Assassin :)

Oh yes, I forgot to mention Handmaid's Tale

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭ItsNoAlias

Try The Carhullan Army by Sarah Hall. Its a very good dystopic/feminist fiction and I really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

+1 for E Annie Proulx

If you've read Jane Eyre, you should read Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys.

I also recommend:
    Arundhati Roy - The God of Small Things
    Elizabeth Bowen (Anglo-Irish novelist writing around the time of the War of Independence)
    Nadine Gordimer (South African writer most famous for her anti-apartheid writings)
    Agatha Christie
    Margaret Atwood (sort of science fiction)
    Harper Lee (To kill a Mockingbird is one of my favourite novels)
    MM Kaye (big historical novels set in India in colonial times).

The Little House on the Prarie books by Laura Ingalls Wilder are pretty good too - most people think of the tv series but the books are far superior, especially if you wanted to be a cowgirl when you grew up.

LOVE Elizabeth Bowen.

Also, Sarah Waters. Fingersmith is a great book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

+1 on Margaret Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale. Dystopian sci-fi.

Sarah Hall's The Electric Michelangelo. Haven't read The Carhullian Army but have been meaning to for ages.

Joyce Carol Oates, her short stories are great, and she's supposed to be a fantastic novelist too.

Lorrie Moore. Again, I've only read some of her short stories, but really messed up stuff. Also supposed to be a great novelist.

Daphne Du Maurier, Siri Hustvedt's What I loved, Jhumpa Lahiri.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭diddlybit

This thread is great, so many ideas for future reading.

• Advertisement

Thanks again everyone I have loads to read:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

Two really talented Irish writers I would recommend are Claire Keegan (short stories) and Moya Cannon (poetry).

• Registered Users Posts: 48 spanx

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭kickarykee

I've mentioned those books several times here before, but I love The Demon's Lexicon series by Sarah Rees Brennan.
    She's not only female, but also Irish ;)

If you're into completely non-cheesy but still very emotional, intelligent young adult (urban) fantasy, you should definitely take a look at it :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

I've always been meaning to read Middlemarch by George Eliot. Sometime this summer, perhaps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭RichT

Mo Hayder is a female author I have read a lot of. She writes crime novels, but be warned they are very graphic and can be quite disturbing!

http://www.mohayder.net/

Doris Lessing - The Good Terrorist

I find Doris a bit of a tough read, to be honest, but the above is a cracking story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

Has anyone read anything by Nuala Ní Chonchúir or Anne Haverty? Both feature in the current series of Peregrine Readings from the Irish Writers' Centre and this is the first I'd heard of either of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭godspal

Well if you like Wuthering Heights Jean Rhys' Wide Sargosso Sea is right up your alley.
    Mary Shelley is another 19th Century Author worth reading. Her poetry is amazing, but we all know Frankenstein.

I also have to recommend Ayn Rand, not because I am the greatest fan, its because her books are so influential.

Advertisement