Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need some tips on buying a fly rod

Options
  • 27-04-2011 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Im thinking about purchasing a fly rod in the coming weeks. There seems to be a wealth of information on the net but im still not sure what exactly I should be focusing my attentions on.

It will be used mainly on some small rivers back home in leitrim over the summer with the maximum weight been caught a half pound trout.

In terms of rod length what fly rod is best suited to smaller over grown rivers fishing into the occasional pool clearing. For a beginner to fly fishing what should I be looking out for.

Any tips to point me in the correct path of researching would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭BoarHunter

i love the Greys Grxi in 7ft. perfect for little streams and easy action. you can even get it in 6ft.

maybe some info on this :

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=66282008

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭wookiesleep

Thanks Boarhunter. I found this nice little bit of info.

The Perfect Small Stream Fly Rod
    http://ezinearticles.com/?The-Perfect-Small-Stream-Fly-Rod&id=336270

As a beginner to fly fishing do you think I should look at a 3wt or a 4wt rod. Their doesn't seem to be any definative rod for small rivers streams and seems to take in alot of factors in regards to the conditions and how its used.

Is it much the same with a graphite rod and a bamboo rod?

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

Don't restrict yourself to a 7ft, get a 9ft 5wt, and you can fish dry, wet, nymphing and some of the stocked lakes...

Check out ebay UK for good deals...

Some of the airflo streamtec stuff is nice..

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Desailly

I would recommend the Greys Streamflex rod in a 4/5 wt. The 10 ft version is really a great all-round rod, but especially for French Nymphing / Upstream Nymphing. It can also be used for wet and dry flies

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭premiercad

get a 9ft 5wt, and you can fish dry, wet, nymphing and some of the stocked lakes...

plus one if there is a "standard" river rod it's a 9ft 5wt. I find you need at least the 5 wt even on small streams as the wind always blows in this country! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭BoarHunter

I don't see the advantages of a 9ft on a little stream ... a 7ft is all you need.

If wookiesleep had asked for an all rounder then i would consider different rods.

I wouldn't give away my 7ft for any other rods. I have a 9ft6 for the lake but the sensation you have out of these little sticks is something you must experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭rpmcmurphy

All excellent points. I would tend to agree with boarhunter however as you did not ask for a recommended all rounder in your original post. You also mention fishing overgrown rivers with the occasional pool clearing. This would lead me to suggest a small 7 foot brook rod in a 3 or 4 weight. If you aim to cut your teeth on the rivers to begin with and it is no easy task as I learned that way myself you will have to overcome plenty of frustration before you succeed. Also you mention the rivers in Leitrim, this would also lend me to suggest you go light in your tackle regarding aftm as the rivers i fish in leitrim consist mostly of small trout anyway and a larger outfit would be overkill and less sensitive. The specific type of rod you buy is also budget Dependant. If you are willing to spend a mid range rod may do but shakespeare do some excellent rods for the money. Also a nice brook rod for an affordable price is a fladen vantage.My pal has one and it has received excellent reviews. http://www.tacklebargains.co.uk/acatalog/Fladen-Vantage-travel-fly-rods---Ex-Display-Rods.html
    I am from the Leitrim area so if i can help in anyway jsut give me a pm. Although I am restricted in time to actually fish!!! :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭wookiesleep

I think the 7ft is the way to go. I know the clearings on the river that Ill be fishing on where there is good space to cast but the main pain will be the trapsing through undergrowth.

Thanks for the link rpmcmurphy, It may make sense to build up some skill with a cheaper rod as the last thing I want is to destroy a couple of hundreds quid worth of fancy gear to begin with. If your thinking of fishing Glenfarne anytime give me a pm and Ill pass on some knowledge of my regular spots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

i upgraded to a Grays Stream flex 5* . 9 foot for rivers . Best buy I ever made. Tis a wonderful rod.

great deals on ebay for nearly new stuff. 100 sterling got a used once rod . I seen the same rod in a fishing shop for 300 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

A lot of good advise above. For the type of river you are intending to fish I also would recommend a 7ft for a 3wt.
    Small investment here
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Brand-New-Vantage-7ft-3wt-3-piece-Trout-fly-fishing-rod-/230614376944?pt=UK_SportingGoods_FishingAcces_RL&hash=item35b1b021f0#ht_3397wt_741

Reviews here
    http://www.flyforums.co.uk/fly-fishing-tackle-reviews-member-ratings/40430-fladen-7ft-3-review.html

I would try a 4 or 5 wt line on it like suggested in the reviews.
    You can get v cheap but highly recommended mill end lines from the link below so you could try a few different weights and styles ie DT and WF
    http://www.mullarkeys.co.uk/fishing/fly-fishing-lines-and-backing/mill-end-and-budget-fly-lines/0/mullarkeys/2928/

• Advertisement
Advertisement