Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Day Today in Galway

Options
  • 27-04-2011 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭

What a lovely day today here in Galway temp 18 degrees in light winds , bring on Summer (I hope this is not our summer).:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭Storm 10

If you went by Met Eireann you would have a brolly as they promised rain and drizzle for the day in the West, Thank God they are so wrong it is very nice indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Storm 10 wrote: »
    If you went by Met Eireann you would have a brolly as they promised rain and drizzle for the day in the West, Thank God they are so wrong it is very nice indeed.

Rainfall totals yesterday:

Claremorris: 3.7mm
    Belmullet: 1.4mm
    Malin Head: 0.8mm
    Valentia: 0.2mm
    Mace Head: 0.1mm
    Knock: 0.1mm
    Shannon Apt: tr

http://www.met.ie/latest/yesterday.asp

All in the west to, so your claim that met eireann gave a wrong forecast yesterday is totally misleading.

As usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

All in the west to, so your claim that met eireann gave a wrong forecast yesterday is totally misleading.

As usual.

( IN FRECH ACCENT )

"Deep Easterly 1 point- Storm 10 0 point! " :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭weisses

As usual.

They where wrong as usual ... from 10:30 on the sun was out until sunset ... and all i heard from ME was patchy rain and drizzle in the southwest west and northwest

instead of getting the 0.2 mm of rain in Valentia you should look up the amount of sunshine we got here and post that

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭Speak Now

weisses wrote: »
    They where wrong as usual ... from 10:30 on the sun was out until sunset ... and all i heard from ME was patchy rain and drizzle in the southwest west and northwest

instead of getting the 0.2 mm of rain in Valentia you should look up the amount of sunshine we got here and post that

Sunshine in hours

Claremorris: Not reported yet
    Belmullet: 0.1 (6 minutes :D)
    Malin Head: Not reported yet
    Valentia: 10.0
    Mace Head: Not reported yet
    Knock: 0.4
    Shannon Apt: 6.8

• Advertisement

Sunshine in hours

Claremorris: Not reported yet
    Belmullet: 0.1 (6 minutes :D)
    Valentia: 10.0 :D:P

Thanks Jerry

Patchy rain and drizzle me arse

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭Speak Now

weisses wrote: »
    Thanks Jerry

Patchy rain and drizzle me arse

Not taking sides just posting the reported actuals thus far.
    Looks like Valentia got far the best of the weather out west yesterday.
    No consolation to those in overcast Belmullet or Knock though :P
    No idea what Met Eireann forecast but M.T wasn't too far out apart from Sunny south west :D

Not taking sides just posting the reported actuals thus far.
    Looks like Valentia got far the best of the weather out west yesterday.
    No consolation to those in overcast Belmullet or Knock though :P
    No idea what Met Eireann forecast but M.T wasn't too far out apart from Sunny south west :D

True but weather is so dynamic and how difficult can it be to update the forecast as it changes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Checked Met Eireann yesterday morning and it said rain and drizzle in the S/West West and N/West with low cloud and mist, supposed to have cleared last night but as the original poster said it was a great day in Galway, temp was 19 Degrees in light winds. I only posted a reply for Galway weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

another great day. LOVE IT:D hope its not our summer though....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭nilhg

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Checked Met Eireann yesterday morning and it said rain and drizzle in the S/West West and N/West with low cloud and mist, supposed to have cleared last night but as the original poster said it was a great day in Galway, temp was 19 Degrees in light winds. I only posted a reply for Galway weather.

I left Clifden yesterday morning with low cloud and misty drizzle, took a detour out around by Carna and Cill Chiaran then back home via Maam Cross and Oughterard, tops of the Bens and Maamturks were covered by cloud all through.

When we got to Galway City it was lovely and clear though, with wall to wall sunshine, you'd think you were in a different country, not the same county....

Who'd be a forecaster?

Satellite image of Ireland at 1.20pm yesterday:

156995.jpg

Sunshine yep, but a lot of cloud as well. Thick enough to bring patchy rain as per the met eireann forecast. But I guess some have no idea of what the term 'patchy rain & drizzle' means in a forecast.

I didn't see the forecast yesterday from the met, but it sounds like it was spot on to me. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

For the record it was drizzling all day here yesterday, no sign of the sun until the evening

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Harps wrote: »
    For the record it was drizzling all day here yesterday, no sign of the sun until the evening

Opposite here, it was scorching all day!

Satellite image of Ireland at 1.20pm yesterday:

156995.jpg

Sunshine yep, but a lot of cloud as well. Thick enough to bring patchy rain as per the met eireann forecast. But I guess some have no idea of what the term 'patchy rain & drizzle' means in a forecast.

I didn't see the forecast yesterday from the met, but it sounds like it was spot on to me. :)

You would do Wonders in the ME office

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Yet again an innocent thread has turned into a ME stand-off. They were largely correct, but the southwest did clear up more than forecast. But with Belmullet overcast all day with rain and drizzle reported (unless the observers were wrong too?), and Knock and Shannon also reporting broken-overcast conditions for most of the day, I think we can put their forecast down as a success.

Clear in Galway city or Kerry does not imply the west is clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Very weak warm front pushed inland across the midlands further than expected. Triple point over N Donegal gave precip, with the cold front running from there through western Mayo/Galway and tapering back out into the Atlantic.

Expected scenario was the warm front to align along the western seaboard and form the boundary between cool moist ocean air and warmer drier air already in situ over Ireland - result drizzle, fog and cloud.

Instead the warm front drifted inland and dryed out. Caused by pressure falling more than expected to the east.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Yeah, it was overcast 40-50 miles to the west of me yesterday

next week we might see a reversal, if the airflow is coming from the east/north east, Belmullet may be one of the few places to escape the rain.

Yeah, it was overcast 40-50 miles to the west of me yesterday

Oddly, it was mostly cloudy here with the odd spit in the late afternoon.

Maybe we should get David McSavage to do the forecasts from now on!!

Su Campu wrote: »
    Yet again an innocent thread has turned into a ME stand-off. They were largely correct, but the southwest did clear up more than forecast. But with Belmullet overcast all day with rain and drizzle reported (unless the observers were wrong too?), and Knock and Shannon also reporting broken-overcast conditions for most of the day, I think we can put their forecast down as a success.

Clear in Galway city or Kerry does not imply the west is clear.

They need to update their forecasts more frequently and they mentioned(forecast) the southwest having drizzle and rain until well in the afternoon

In their station report on radio 1 a lot of stations said clear .... but after the news the whole drizzle patchy rain forecast was still there :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Fabulous day in West Connemara today, was working right up until night fall, got fairly warm in the afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,645 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

johngalway wrote: »
    Fabulous day in West Connemara today, was working right up until night fall, got fairly warm in the afternoon.

Yes - West will be best FTFF based on tonights models.

FTFF?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

johngalway wrote: »
    FTFF?

I'm going to go with For The Foreseeable Future?

Achill Island was just amazing today, approx. 19C and barely a breeze even along the coast, I am scalded and now cannot sleep!

Well I hope so, I've thistles and rushes to spray, but need to put a new fence up first to keep the sheep out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,645 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I'm going to go with For The Foreseeable Future?

Yep - and looking a bit milder too based on this mornings runs:)

Advertisement