Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have You heard about basketball league called EFBL?

Options
  • 27-04-2011 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi guys. There is the question:
    Have anyone of You heard about new county Dublin basketball league called EFBL (European Friendly Basketball League)? I found that they based all over Dublin, and are much more better than DMBB (Dublin Mens Basketball League). One of my friends team playing in that league, and he told me that is one of the best leagues were he was playing, have a cash prizes, holidays packs and etc. they have a website called www.efbl.ie . Did anyone other heard same as me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Da GOAT

can Irish people play? Most see this as a eastern european league only and wanted to not gel with the current Irish league. Bit of a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Basketball Fan

I also asked that irish playrs can play or not, the answer was that every nationality people and teams are invited to join their league. They advertised that they have min. guaranteed cash prize for winnners 1500 euro, i just checked on their web, its saying 1840 euro and still growing. not bad :) why they would need to join lets say DMBB if EFBL is in the higher level?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,484 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

I also asked that irish playrs can play or not, the answer was that every nationality people and teams are invited to join their league.

Having looked through the rosters of all the teams on the website, I see one Irish player from all the teams. Hardly inclusive is it?

I play with a team in the midlands league, our squad is about 40% Irish, 40% Lithuanian and the rest various eastern european nationalities.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

How long would it take an (unofficially) 'Paddy-only' league to make the front page of the Herald and have all the participants branded Nazis??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,484 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    How long would it take an (unofficially) 'Paddy-only' league to make the front page of the Herald and have all the participants branded Nazis??

3 days. Max.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Having looked through the rosters of all the teams on the website, I see one Irish player from all the teams. Hardly inclusive is it?

I play with a team in the midlands league, our squad is about 40% Irish, 40% Lithuanian and the rest various eastern european nationalities.

Who do you play with? I used to play with Newport many moons ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

better than DMBB (Dublin Mens Basketball League).

No they are not.

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    No they are not.

yea that part was funny. granted theres 5 leagues but the rule where some superleague players must play for a link club also shows standard is better.

basically the euro league is a social network for foreign players, and thats cool but not on par with dmbb stnadard

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Xrox

One of the lads on my college both plays and coaches in this league and he has recruited 4 Irish players to his team.

The league is far better organised than the Dublin league (check out there website) eventhough it is more a socail league (at the moment) with a very high standard of play and is in no way Eastern European only. There is no club prejudice which is rampant in the dublin league at the coaching, and refering levels.

From what i have seen the standard of play from the top teams can be much higher than most teams in the dublin league but not yet on par to the top 3 or 4 teams in the Div1. But bear in mind this is a spanking new league and it has surpassed the DMBB League in so many aspects already give them time and the teams will also pass out the best dublin league teams.

Xrox wrote: »
    bear in mind this is a spanking new league and it has surpassed the DMBB League in so many aspects already give them time and the teams will also pass out the best dublin league teams.

Well, now that you've wrote it on the internet - it must be true, right?? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I agree with Xrox. Maybe these guys are not irish, bet they doing their job well, seen last game, its very high standart. Photographers making pictures, wallpapers there is few of them http://efbl.ie/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/EFBL-dublin-mens-basketball-league-Mantas-Lygutas-2011.jpg
    http://efbl.ie/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/M.-Petruzis-Silas-Basketball-Team-EFBL-2011.jpg
    . OMG when DMBB will care about their players even half what these fellas does

• Registered Users Posts: 44 elpistolero

What is the standard of basketball in the dublin league like? Much difference between division 1 and 5?

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Well, now that you've wrote it on the internet - it must be true, right?? :rolleyes:

How about besides just being sarcastic for the sake of it you go check out the league and judge for yourself.

And as for the above question yes there is a huge difference between div5 and div1 in the dublin league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 uppercut1

<<Maybe these guys are not irish, bet they doing their job well>>... ? Man, most of those guys are from the country where basketball is playing on every coner. I can`t see the same here in Ireland. With all the respect to Irish Rugby team or football, the basketball level in Ireland is very low yet...

uppercut1 wrote: »
    <<Maybe these guys are not irish, bet they doing their job well>>... ? Man, most of those guys are from the country where basketball is playing on every coner. I can`t see the same here in Ireland. With all the respect to Irish Rugby team or football, the basketball level in Ireland is very low yet...

So the indigenous population is not welcome or up to the high standards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

uppercut1 wrote: »
    With all the respect to Irish Rugby team or football, the basketball level in Ireland is very low yet...

And how many Irish Basketball games have you watched to have come to this conclusion?

in what way is it better organised?? prize pool and a nice website?

Doesnt appear to have much else going for it.

in what way is it hard for a euro player to join a dmbb team.

I dont see the euro league getting the best players until they pay dmbb for the superleague rights along with the internationals.

Well it is organised as in the refs turn up on time, you have more than one ref at every game, gyms are booked for the correct length of time to run a complete game, teams show up for their games all of which are problems which i have expereinced in the DMBB as both a player and a coach.

Also on the organisation front they actively seek sponsorship for the league and individual teams which lessens the cost on the players themselves.

I agree it isnt hard for european players to join DMBB and in fact i can think of 5 who currently play in the EFBL that have in the past or who are currently starting on Div1 Dublin League teams some have represented these clubs in the irish national league. Also alot of the teams have been in the past part of the DMBB (some might still be but im not sure)

As for the best players in the league its not important to have the best irish players or international players as the majority of them play super league but an organised friendly league which is highly competitive can only stand to improve the standard of basketball in Ireland.

Hopefully we can learn from this league and take what is good in it, as irish basketball does need to improve and looking at the european model (which has succeeded) could aid in the strengthing of the game here.

Lets not forget irish basketball has been badly run for a long time remember back to when we lost adidas sponsorhip because we ran adds with players in nike runners!! and at the moment we have no real international presence as teams have been withdrawn.

So just be open to recognising our flaws in certain aspects and try to improve them (hopefully with some euro help). :P

i totally agree dmbb is run like crap tho too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 uppercut1

Guys, I was talking only about the basketball... it`s sad when total basketball level is so low when country has so many talented players.
    P.S. And all the indegenous people are more than wellcome to compete in efbl championship.

• Advertisement

I remember when we joined DMBB and our squad won 2nd place. Received blue teeshirts with blue DMBB logo :D it was crazy. There is no point to play in DMBB, when You have no oportunities. Tell me when the last time even superleague had all - stars day? I cant remember.. When we had national team? when the last time europe heard about us?
    dublins div. 1 and all the rest referees, you lucky if two referees show up, not talking about performance. You can understand referees, they getting twice lower, then in EFBL. They does their job very well in there, becouse someone cares about them as well. Never had late payments and etc. (one of my friends ref. in their league).
    New basketball rules applied for all europe two years ago, in here its only from next season? wtf? Who is resonsible for that?
    Its so many great players we have, under 18, under 20 who could stand for country in europe, and probably would be in top 8, but lets open our eyes - nobody cares.
    Our squad also thinking next season to join more social league, where someone shows for You respect.

Basketball.A3.png

I remember when we joined DMBB and our squad won 2nd place. Received blue teeshirts with blue DMBB logo :D it was crazy. There is no point to play in DMBB, when You have no oportunities. Tell me when the last time even superleague had all - stars day? I cant remember.. When we had national team? when the last time europe heard about us?
    dublins div. 1 and all the rest referees, you lucky if two referees show up, not talking about performance. You can understand referees, they getting twice lower, then in EFBL. They does their job very well in there, becouse someone cares about them as well. Never had late payments and etc. (one of my friends ref. in their league).
    New basketball rules applied for all europe two years ago, in here its only from next season? wtf? Who is resonsible for that?
    Its so many great players we have, under 18, under 20 who could stand for country in europe, and probably would be in top 8, but lets open our eyes - nobody cares.
    Our squad also thinking next season to join more social league, where someone shows for You respect.

In case you didn't know, there's currently little or no funding in the country for anything, never mind an amateur sport like basketball that is down the pecking order after Soccer, GAA football/hurling and Rugby.

There is no point in fragmenting the small community within basketball by creating another league/organisation.

Thats why basketball is not growing in the country. You with your minds are one of the examples why everything needs to be changed. Just wrong persons managing basketball in the country - and we see result. Hopefully everything will change soon. There is a fundings but nobody cares, becouse nobody wants to work. Its easiest way to say, sorry guys, no fundings - no basketball.

You have 1 league with 10 teams, DMBB have 18 leagues with about 40 clubs who participate at multiple levels in those leagues. There's a big difference between the organisations and the administration costs of both.

How are you promoting the game amongst youth? How do you plan on handling leagues from under 11 all the way up to under 20, then Div 1 -5 for seniors? Have you got a sponsor to cover the logistics cost of managing 18 leagues and the referees to attend over 100 games every month? How are you going to promote the league to non Lithuanian people when they're going to trust an organisation like DMBB who has been around for many years over some new league that seems to be dominated by 1 nationality? How are you going to break the relationship of players and coaches from school teams who will possibly have that coach involved in their club?

You missing the point man. This is not about size of organisation, but about basketball quality, communication skills and all other stuff both oranisations providing.
    Its same as i would have 20 crap cars, and someone only one, but nice ferrari. What would we choose? :eek: :D

You missing the point man. This is not about size of organisation, but about basketball quality, communication skills and all other stuff both oranisations providing.
    Its same as i would have 20 crap cars, and someone only one, but nice ferrari. What would we choose? :eek: :D

So you've no actual plan on promoting the sport of basketball, just what I had thought. It's cool though, that 1 league will really do wonders for the sport here in Ireland. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,616 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Xrox wrote: »
    Well it is organised as in the refs turn up on time, you have more than one ref at every game, gyms are booked for the correct length of time to run a complete game, teams show up for their games all of which are problems which i have expereinced in the DMBB as both a player and a coach.

Also on the organisation front they actively seek sponsorship for the league and individual teams which lessens the cost on the players themselves.

I agree it isnt hard for european players to join DMBB and in fact i can think of 5 who currently play in the EFBL that have in the past or who are currently starting on Div1 Dublin League teams some have represented these clubs in the irish national league. Also alot of the teams have been in the past part of the DMBB (some might still be but im not sure)

As for the best players in the league its not important to have the best irish players or international players as the majority of them play super league but an organised friendly league which is highly competitive can only stand to improve the standard of basketball in Ireland.

Hopefully we can learn from this league and take what is good in it, as irish basketball does need to improve and looking at the european model (which has succeeded) could aid in the strengthing of the game here.

Lets not forget irish basketball has been badly run for a long time remember back to when we lost adidas sponsorhip because we ran adds with players in nike runners!! and at the moment we have no real international presence as teams have been withdrawn.

So just be open to recognising our flaws in certain aspects and try to improve them (hopefully with some euro help). :P
    Excellent post. Another league will only help to improve things. Its a kick in the backside to the other league if the newer league starts to grow. And Basketball in this country has been stuck in a rut for a while now.

I can't see any harm in this. Hopefully in time the two leagues can come together and learn from one another.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

You having a laugh basketball fan? These referees, who exactly are they affiliated to? FIBA? Doubt it! Any player on a court thinks they can ref, doesn't mean they can though.

Promotion? Damn dude, anyone can setup a nice website and run one league. Even I could. But its only a matter of time before I get bored and lose my enthusiasm! And after a few years it dies. Let us know how many show up for the "all-star" day!

Dedication? I see from the website that one of the games was cancelled in December and moved to February cos it clashed with the Xmas party!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

You know peteb2 You are funny guy. You probably one of these who before something started starts to think about ending :D thats why not moving anything at all. Thats why probably new leagues opening. And its a good thing, litle kick for the others. :rolleyes:

Advertisement