Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Id bird call

Options
  • 27-04-2011 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

There is a bird I have heard a few times that I'd like to find out what it is.

I first saw it around Christmas when we had the snow, it swooped down twice at my cat while we were out walking. So I'm thinking it's a bird of prey.

I heard it twice in the last few weeks. It has a really unusual sound. Almost sounds like an echo location/sonar sound. I have tried a few sites and haven't found anything that sounds similar. I haven't been close enough to get a proper look at the bird but it didn't seem much bigger than a big crow.

Not much to go on, so I know this is a long shot. But if anyone knows of any sites that have bird calls it would be a help. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Try the RPSB site here: http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/m/magpie/index.aspx

they have audio clips for most species. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭trebor28

im gona take a stab at lapwing.
    http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/l/lapwing/index.aspx

very weird call when you first hear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Mayo Miss

trebor28 wrote: »
    im gona take a stab at lapwing.
    http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/l/lapwing/index.aspx

very weird call when you first hear it.

Nope, not a lapwing. Don't think a lapwing would have been brave enough to swoop down to attack my cat.

The nearest sound on that site is a Goshawk but I don't think that's it either. Not quite the right sound plus the site says we don't have any here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

Mayo Miss wrote: »
    There is a bird I have heard a few times that I'd like to find out what it is.

I first saw it around Christmas when we had the snow, it swooped down twice at my cat while we were out walking. So I'm thinking it's a bird of prey.

I heard it twice in the last few weeks. It has a really unusual sound. Almost sounds like an echo location/sonar sound. I have tried a few sites and haven't found anything that sounds similar. I haven't been close enough to get a proper look at the bird but it didn't seem much bigger than a big crow.

Not much to go on, so I know this is a long shot. But if anyone knows of any sites that have bird calls it would be a help. Thanks.

Hi Mayo miss,

- was it in Mayo?

- what kind of habitat (seashore, woodland, farmland)?

- what colour was it?

I think a lapwing would mob a cat, but not saying that is what it is - have you played the call, it really fits your description.

Goshawks are very rare here, and relatively shy, certainly not likely to be serial mobbers.

"Crow-sized" rules out a few other candidates, like buzzard.

LC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭trebor28

it might not exactly fit your description but might it be a mistle thrush?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Mayo Miss

LostCovey wrote: »
    Hi Mayo miss,

- was it in Mayo?

- what kind of habitat (seashore, woodland, farmland)?

- what colour was it?

I think a lapwing would mob a cat, but not saying that is what it is - have you played the call, it really fits your description.

Goshawks are very rare here, and relatively shy, certainly not likely to be serial mobbers.

"Crow-sized" rules out a few other candidates, like buzzard.

LC
    Sorry about the delay, I had forgotten to check the thread. It was in south Mayo. It's mainly farmland with a few turloughs within a mile. I haven't heard it in a few weeks. But had another listen to the RSPB site and I think it could be a Marsh harrier, 80% sure. I'm not sure what colour it was because I haven't been close enough to get a good look.

http://maps.google.ie/maps?q=53.599248,-9.097452&num=1&t=h&sll=53.598872,-9.096766&sspn=0.00375,0.009645&gl=ie&ie=UTF8&ll=53.601597,-9.097624&spn=0.014999,0.038581&z=15

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

Mayo Miss wrote: »
    Sorry about the delay, I had forgotten to check the thread. It was in south Mayo. It's mainly farmland with a few turloughs within a mile. I haven't heard it in a few weeks. But had another listen to the RSPB site and I think it could be a Marsh harrier, 80% sure. I'm not sure what colour it was because I haven't been close enough to get a good look.

http://maps.google.ie/maps?q=53.599248,-9.097452&num=1&t=h&sll=53.598872,-9.096766&sspn=0.00375,0.009645&gl=ie&ie=UTF8&ll=53.601597,-9.097624&spn=0.014999,0.038581&z=15

EXTREMELY unlikely to be a Marsh Harrier around Cloghans Hill, Mayo Miss.

In that area I would bet the farm on it being a Lapwing.

LC

Advertisement