Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help Choosing a New Rugby Club in Dublin!

Options
  • 27-04-2011 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

So the plan is that after the leaving and the all that Ill be going to college in Dublin. So I wont be able to play with my old club, hence Im looking for a new club and I was wondering what ye think.

Im still going to be eligible for u19 club rugby next year, Im looking for a club with a pretty solid underage set-up at both u19 and u21 and preferably a senior club. I'd be hoping to take the next season to build myself up (iv been out of rugby for the last few months for study/injury reasons) and id be hoping to start seriously challenging for a position by the end of next season and facing into u21.

So what do you think? I'm a prop and i played u17 South Munster representative rugby before if that helps. Iv never played schools rugby either.

So let me know waht you think
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

All depends on location. What college are you likely to be attending and what area are you likely to be living in?

You'll have no shortage of choices in fairness unless you're in some far flung part of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 DazHealy

GerM wrote: »
    All depends on location. What college are you likely to be attending and what area are you likely to be living in?

You'll have no shortage of choices in fairness unless you're in some far flung part of the city.

Probably Trinity or UCD. As far as i know they dont have u19 teams so thats why i havent really looked at them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

If you are going to UCD or Trinity it might be a good idea to join the college club and try and get to know people in your college

Other than that where are you based

Other than that where are you based

I dont know where ill be staying in dublin yet, but i wouldnt mind travelling around dublin city within reason.

Currently im playing out of Bandon RFC, Cork. Junior rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,960 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

DazHealy wrote: »
    I dont know where ill be staying in dublin yet, but i wouldnt mind travelling around dublin city within reason.

Currently im playing out of Bandon RFC, Cork. Junior rugby.

A lot of clubs put out U19 teams but the standard is varied. U19s is mainly youths players.

If you are good enough you'll be playing with the U21s. Most clubs would put way more resources into the U21s. U19s tends to be a development thing. It's a way of clubs of broadening their base and catching players who aren't coming the schools system.

When a gem comes through youths though they'd tend be playing U21s pretty quickly.

I think Suttonians had Aaron Mauger playing U21s when he was 16.

I'd think about where you're living and going to college and then post that and you'll get plenty of recommendations :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

traditionally Bective has been the first port of call for country lads coming up to Dublin, however if you're heading northside look no further than Clontarf, great set up, plenty of teams at adult and underage & good craic in the bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

AFAIK Clontarf have a very good side that will be at that age group next season. But agree with bamboozle, great setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

If you are going to college in Dublin I would recommend joining your college team. It a great way of getting to know people within your college, which is important if you are coming up to Dublin and won't know many people.

Don't know anything about the Trinity U21 set-up, but its very well organised with brilliant facilities in UCD. And there are several teams so if you are on the young side you can always start on one of the lower underage teams and work your way up.

Outside of Trinity and UCD none of the other colleges have a proper club set-up yet, so if you do go to another college listen to the recommendations on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

To play at regional u17 level you have to be at a fairly good standard so you will be fine to play at u21 division2 as you are still 19s unless you are very good you will struggle as an u19 at u21 division1.
    Id recommend of the clubs in dublin that you go to bective. they didnt have u17/19 teams until a few years ago but have worked on their underage system recently and if you do go there, they look after the lads who play with them very well especially those coming up from the country
    As you are still u19 go to a club where its possible to play 19s in case you are not getting much/any gametime with the 21s.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,960 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

WeeBushy wrote: »
    Don't know anything about the Trinity U21 set-up, but its very well organised with brilliant facilities in UCD.
    +1 on that.
    UCD facilities and set up are spectacular.

• Advertisement

ormond lad wrote: »
    As you are still u19 go to a club where its possible to play 19s in case you are not getting much/any gametime with the 21s.

Should really have put this in my opening post but ya if its a choice between waiting a few years to break into a college (or any) u21 team and getting regular u19 games i pick the regular u19 games. Iv been out with a good fre months and getting myself back to matchreadyness would be priority one next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭maherball

IF you can drive, come join my club in Ratoath, we have a good under 19 side and a new senior team which has lots of places for new players.

Now thats the plug done...
    You should play for the college, I'd imagine it would be good craic for getting to know people and such.

Most of ye seem to be saying go with the College side (be it Dublin University or UCD). But i dont know, the lack of an u19 side really seems like a potential drawback, i think id really need it to get back into the swing of things.

That said im not completely disregarding playing with the college or anything like that! TRYING to keep an open mind:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

You can still play regular rugby on a college team. It mightn't be the As, but there are Bs and Cs that play at a very good level, and you would physically be able to compete especially as it sounds like you play at a good level in Munster. Most people coming into college are 18 and play on the U21s so you wouldn't be far behind everyone else. You could play regularly in one of the lower teams (which are well looked after, in UCD anyway) and by the time you are 20/21 would be primed to star on the firsts ;)

Okay i'll stop plugging college rugby now, good luck with whatever choice you make :)

Advertisement