Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Audio set for 4 speakers

Options
  • 27-04-2011 12:13pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey,
    Need some guidance. Looking to get a replacement stereo or similar to replace the existing setup for a guest house which has four speakers. Will need to play CDs mostly, but also have a radio.

Basically, we use a stereo to play music out through four speakers - two in one room and two in another. Its all cabled up and the wires just need to be connected to the player. However we are constantly replacing stereos because they get a lot of use and break down. The current stereo stopped playing discs, so we put in a DVD player to handle disc playing which has now stopped working so we need a new replacement.

Any suggestions? Needs to handle the four speakers, play CDs and have a radio. I'm not sure of the name of the connection at the back, but they are the thin little copper cables with a black and white coating. They are clipped in at the back, just like most stereos.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,262 ✭✭✭Homer

Be careful connecting 4 speakers to a system that was designed to take 2!
    You are altering the impedance and putting a strain on the amplifier by simply connecting all the speakers into the back of the unit. If you are going to run 4 speakers then use a decent speaker switch that has capacitors and resistors inside to spread the load evenly.
    What type of speakers are you using? In ceiling I presume? Also what rating is on the amplifier? 8 Ohms?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

It was professionally installed, so I have no idea what type of speakers they are. The unit we have at the moment has enough connections at the back to facilitate more speakers then we have.

We also have a switch but its more to do with turning off the speakers in one of the rooms.

Depends on your budget so! Also how do you want to control the source? I.E change tracks on the CD or switch radio stations. Or are you happy to do that manually?
    I would suggest a good quality stereo amplifier that can handle 4 speakers and then think about using an ipod dock for your music? Do you absolutely have to have the radio?
    If you keep buying the cheaper systems you'll end up replacing them regularly?
    Have you looked at Sonos? www.sonos.com Their ZP120 zone player can handle 4 speakers, can stream all internet radio stations and can be controlled by ipod/iphone etc?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Yeah a good bit cheaper then that anyway :)

Just a standard radio/CD Player that hooks up to 4 speakers is what we are looking for. :)

Problem is most standard radio/cd units are only designed to run 2 speakers so make sure you are using a switch to handle the impedance issue.
    Any cheap unit will do but they are not designed for constant use and you will only end up replacing it sooner rather than later?
    Do you have any budget in mind and il try find something cheap that will last much longer?!
    Maybe post in the richer sounds forum and see if John and the lads have something on special that would do the job?

• Advertisement
Advertisement