Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simmental Bull on Charolais Cows

Options
  • 27-04-2011 11:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭

Have a bunch of white (more than 3/4 bred) charolais cows, and thinking of using AI Simmental, to try get some milkier replacements.
    Have already put limousine on some of them for replacements, but to be the milk seems not much better from the offspring.

What sort of animal, would I expect to get by crossing the simmental to these cows?
    I assume I'd get good red coloureds stock, but would the milk come through and how would the bull calves turn out for suckler value?

Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Have a bunch of white (more than 3/4 bred) charolais cows, and thinking of using AI Simmental, to try get some milkier replacements.
    Have already put limousine on some of them for replacements, but to be the milk seems not much better from the offspring.

What sort of animal, would I expect to get by crossing the simmental to these cows?
    I assume I'd get good red coloureds stock, but would the milk come through and how would the bull calves turn out for suckler value?

Any ideas?

imo id say a good simmental will bring more milkiness to the table than the lm x ch, bull calves should be good enough too, growthy thick boned cattle. the likes of newry or see peejay from munster, hkg not great for selling as weanlings as come into better cattle with age, have seen some plain narrow cattle from him too though

id imagine you'd get some nice big square deep heifers with milk, quieter also probably white faced, maybe orangey colour/patches

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Atilathehun

Bodacious wrote: »
    imo id say a good simmental will bring more milkiness to the table than the lm x ch, bull calves should be good enough too, growthy thick boned cattle. the likes of newry or see peejay from munster, hkg not great for selling as weanlings as come into better cattle with age, have seen some plain narrow cattle from him too though

id imagine you'd get some nice big square deep heifers with milk, quieter also probably white faced, maybe orangey colour/patches

Thanks. That's more or less what I am thinking myself. In my part of the country, I seldom see simmental calves in the marts. At the same time, a lot of farmers are constantly moaning that more and more replacement heifers are producing too little milk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Thanks. That's more or less what I am thinking myself. In my part of the country, I seldom see simmental calves in the marts. At the same time, a lot of farmers are constantly moaning that more and more replacement heifers are producing too little milk.

Simmentals under rated at times for growth rates, weight gains etc I know of a fine Ch X Sim Cow and if im passing there again id take a photo and send it to you, i pulled up on the road looking at her, she a fine bear of a cow altogether:) She had a good white ch bull calf since, good rearer etc etc

Advertisement