Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People Using A/V just to charge phones

Options
  • 27-04-2011 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Whats the story with people taking over A/V cubicles in the library just to read/study/charge their cellphones. Last night I think I saw only two people actually using the main monitors. Other cubicles looked like people had moved into them. They are quite important for people wishing to study a play, or a piece of visual drama, that is part of some modules.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Aodan83

Are the A/V cubicles the ones on the top floor?
    I can see how that would be irritating. Haven't been in the library in a while, but I imagine that this time of year it is quite busy. It seems to make sense that people would use these cubicles if they are the only available desks. Using them just so they can charge their phones seems a bit ignorant though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

Could they not charge their ohones in their own homes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

"cellphones"?

since when are they called "cellphones" over here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

Cellphone is an american term for a mobile phone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

Daegerty wrote: »
    "cellphones"?

since when are they called "cellphones" over here?

Since i suppose a portion of Irish middle class youth decided at some point in their lives, probably after too much MTV, to affect a mid atlantic accent and use north american words in their lexicon. Sometimes it feels like i'm in Beverley Hills 90210 when walking through the college with the amount of dude's, bro's and the like spoken by the kids of suburban Ireland.

True story - a chum of mine was correcting tutorial work in another Irish uni, seems young folk also like to mimic spelling of American words, hence U's were no longer spelled in colour and the like, and Z's were appearing in words like memorise.

Why can't people enjoy US culture without pretending to be American?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Legwinski

a chum of mine

bottomtooth.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭captainspeckle

Could also be someone from North America posting. They let those people on Boards too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

Since i suppose a portion of Irish middle class youth decided at some point in their lives, probably after too much MTV, to affect a mid atlantic accent and use north american words in their lexicon. Sometimes it feels like i'm in Beverley Hills 90210 when walking through the college with the amount of dude's, bro's and the like spoken by the kids of suburban Ireland.

True story - a chum of mine was correcting tutorial work in another Irish uni, seems young folk also like to mimic spelling of American words, hence U's were no longer spelled in colour and the like, and Z's were appearing in words like memorise.

Why can't people enjoy US culture without pretending to be American?:confused:

There are fellas I go to college with who you'd swear to God are Americans until you ask them "So where in America are you from?" and they go all :eek: on you

Advertisement