Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where to advertise farm to rent

Options
  • 26-04-2011 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

I am not sure whether I am allowed ask this question? because it probably sounds like an advert...anyway Mr moderator if it's deleted I will understand.....but anyway I've been trying to rent out my farm which has a shop and a home on it and Ive had it on daft and now in farmers journal and Ive not got as much as one reply....the rents not even mentioned in the journal....so I am not sure why!!!
    Anyway I am wondering is there any way to market this where it will get seen by farming community. It will probably suit someone who is a tending towards organics or country style shop or garden centre or alternative lifestylers. Anyone know is there an organics society?

Maybe its a complete waste of time trying to rent them all together would I be better renting them individually and forget about putting them together as one lot???

Anyone got any alternative ideas, thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭ihatetractors

Awfuly late, this is generaly done in january-march!, local papers, local co-op outlet, local neighbour might know someone, local land agents etc..
    What do you want to set it for? as in grazing or tillage, is there water?, boundaries condition?, access? size? etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

I would be just interested in renting the maps, No interest in the land as its a little too far away from me

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭baldric

i hate tractors...yeah it has water is for grazing and is fully fenced only for cattle not for sheep...I have no problem renting the land ....but ideally I want to rent to someone who wants house shop and land..maybe thats a bit much!!! I dont think its the land rental thats the problem its the house and shop. both of which are in excellent condition and well located

Bob....how does renting maps work? presumably I could sell the grass in the summer for hay.......let me know how that would work and what it entails

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Have you tried advertising it in local newspapers or have you approached and auctioneer to act on your behalf????

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

Strange.

Have you spoken to any local auctioneer or your mart? They might know someone interested in renting. Also take note that if you only recently inherited/took over and got any tax relief, by renting you are placing this relief at risk as you become a landlord as against a farmer.

Are you in REPS/AEOS and if so, could you have a word with your planner?

If you are aged over 45? and lease the land for 5/7 years, you can get the rent tax free.

Downside, is that you could get a bad tenant. Someone who doesn't give a damn and fences etc are broken; fields are poached and s/he doesn't give a sh*t about you.

Where in the country are you, as I had problems with several 'tenants'!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Red Sheds

You could try Donedeal, alot of farmers use it, will only cost you €3. There are 3 organic societies operating in Ireland and also a good few organic co-ops. If your farm isnt organic, there is a 3 or 5 (not sure) year conversion period until it can be classified as fully organic. The organic socities are:

Organic Trust - http://organictrust.ie/
    Bio Dynamic Agricultural Association in Ireland - http://www.zitronengelb.net/bdaai/index.php?article_id=1
    IOFGA - http://iofga.org/

I agree with previous posters, be very careful of the tenants you get, make sure to check them out well before hand.

Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

go talk to an auctioneer. if your local mart has an auctioneering service then all the better.

They'll charge you a few quid to organise everything but it's money well spent imho if you're only starting out in renting/dealing with farmers

• Registered Users Posts: 49 scub

I reckon you'd find it hard to get all three rented together, unless you tried some foreign papers or some such.......

You are after someone that needs to rent a house and on top of that wants to run a shop and also run some form of agricultural enterprise too. Your market is fairly small i'd say.

I've heard of an English guy coming near here and renting house with a few acres on it and he is getting into organic pigs. Selling at the farmers markets I think.

Advertisement