Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Notice of Shift Change

Options
  • 26-04-2011 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭

I was written up in work today because I was late for my shift.

As it turns out my shift start time was changed the night before by the hr staff in the general office but none of them contacted me to tell me.
    When I confronted them about this, they basically said "tough ****".

They told me that it is not up to them to contact me to tell me this, and the onus is on me, to contact them in the evening to check the start time.

This is ludicrous! Surely they can't do this to me and then blame me in such a ridiculous way!? I get the feeling they are trying to make work as difficult as possible so that some of us will leave!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

They didn't give you sufficient notice.
    You have a case against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,242 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

This is what I posted here. Obviously in your case it sounds like they didn't give you enough notice.
    Eoin wrote: »
    Hi there, does the following from this page apply to you? If so, then it does sound like they're giving you the required notice.
    Provision of information about working hours

For many employees the hours of work are specified, for example, in their contract of employment or in an ERO or REA. If the hours of work are not specified, under Section 17 of the Act, the employer must notify the employee of the starting and finishing times at least 24 hours before the first day or the day of each week the employee is required to work. The employer can do this by putting up a notice in a conspicuous place in the employee's workplace on a day when the employee is working. If the employee is required to work additional hours the 24 hours' notice must be given in the same way. However, in unforeseen circumstances such as another employee off work sick, the employer can ask the employee to work at less than 24 hours' notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Johnny Derpp

Thanks Eoin, that's just the type of thing I needed.

Advertisement