Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buffy - time between seasons?

Options
  • 26-04-2011 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭

So I'm wondering about time passing in Buffy. I'm watching season 7 again and it is ridiculous that Willow already appears over Tara and can be with Kennedy. Their relationship was portrayed as each other's soul mate so how can she move on that quickly? How much time did she spend in England? I mean, I can (kind of) forgive her if there's a year long break between season 6 and season 7 but it never comes up.

I have a feeling that each season 'break' varies in time.. I'm finding it hard to believe that Willow was so devastated by Tara's death that she killed Warren, didn't care if she lived or died etc - and then (presumably) a few months later she's with Kennedy!

I would love for someone to lay it out - I'll try here so please make corrections where I'm wrong:

Season 1 - Buffy & gang are 16
    Season 2 - 17
    Season 3 - 18
    Season 4 - 20 (when she died the 2nd time)
    Season 5 - 21
    Season 6 - 22
    Season 7 - 23?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,986 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Kimia wrote: »
    So I'm wondering about time passing in Buffy. I'm watching season 7 again and it is ridiculous that Willow already appears over Tara and can be with Kennedy. Their relationship was portrayed as each other's soul mate so how can she move on that quickly? How much time did she spend in England? I mean, I can (kind of) forgive her if there's a year long break between season 6 and season 7 but it never comes up.

I have a feeling that each season 'break' varies in time.. I'm finding it hard to believe that Willow was so devastated by Tara's death that she killed Warren, didn't care if she lived or died etc - and then (presumably) a few months later she's with Kennedy!

I would love for someone to lay it out - I'll try here so please make corrections where I'm wrong:

Season 2 - 17
    Season 3 - 18
    Season 5 - 21
    Season 6 - 22
    Season 7 - 23?

The first four seasons started at the beginning of the school/college term. I think they mention in season 6 how long it was since Buffy had died (spike mentioned the exact time frame). I can't remember when season 5 or 7 started exactly. as for their ages, i think they only ever celebrated buffy's birthdays but I think your guesses are right.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

Kimia wrote: »

Season 2 - 17
    Season 3 - 18
    Season 5 - 21
    Season 6 - 22
    Season 7 - 23?

I never really saw the beginning of Season 7 but I'm guessing they stuck to their summer hiatus length. Buffy turns 17 and 18 during Season 2 and 3 respectively, she get the ring from Angel in season 2 and the book of poems in season 3 - if that helps.

Season 5 seems to start on the last day of the holidays - they're on the beach and then there's the whole thing with the weather. Though I did think, for some reason that Season 6 started in October... could be just the memory playing tricks on me.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Season 1 was a mid-season replacement show, it was given the go-ahead for 12 episodes after another show, Savannah, was cancelled half way through. So Buffy is 16 but she is mid-way through the school year and it's a month or two after her birthday in January.

In S2 she is 16 at the start and turns 17 in January which is when she sleeps with Angel and he turns evil.

In S3 she is 17 and turns 18 in Jan which is when Giles takes away her powers.

In S4 she is 18 entering college and turns 19 in Jan in the episode where Ethan Rayne turns Giles into a demon.

In S5 she is 19 and turns 20 in the episode where Dawn discovers that she is the Key.

In S6 she is (dead but resurrected aged) 20 and turns 21 in the episode where Anya's old friend vengeance demon makes everyone unable to leave the house at Dawn's wish.

In S7 she is 21 at the start and 22 by the end but we don't see her birthday, presumably as they were too busy fighting the First and in S6 Spike suggested she shouldn't celebrate her birthday ever again. It would have fallen around the time that Dawn thinks she is a potential.

Apart from S1 which starts in the spring each episode starts in September/October. In S2, S3, S6 and S7 it's the beginning of the school year as we see either the gang or Dawn begin school. In S4 it's the beginning of the college year and in S5 it's the end of the summer and in ep2 that Dawn needs school supplies.

Willow falling in love with Kennedy so soon after Tara's death was just crappy characterisation. In fact Willow falling in love with the awful, obnoxious Kennedy was crappy characterisation full-stop.

Advertisement