Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

antidisestablishmentarianism

Options
  • 26-04-2011 9:38pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭

That being the word for all that is wrong with Today's World!!

Discussion?????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hookah

What is it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Break the word down
    ;)

Anti

Dis
    Establishment

Arianisim/ist

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

It means opposition to Disestabishmentarianism, which is a position that encourages the removal of establishments. It was originally to do with England in the 17th Century - the Puritans and certain other religious groups called for the disestablishment of Church and State, those who opposed them were Antidisestablishmentarians.

Yes, BUT, what is
    Disestabishmentarianism,??????

Do you understand the underlying concept? or a Modern eqivalent??????

Yes, BUT, what is
    Disestabishmentarianism,??????

Do you understand the underlying concept? or a Modern eqivalent??????

Yes.
    Undergod wrote: »
    ...Disestabishmentarianism, which is a position that encourages the removal of establishments...

• Advertisement

OK, what happens when you encourage the Removal of Establishments????

Rote learning is not a substitution for understandin, neither is Goooogling!!!!!!

I didn't google it; I read a few books about Baroque era England a few years ago, and I remember these concepts being mentioned. And where are you getting rote learning from?

So what you're getting at is too many people nowadays are antidisestablishmentarian-they're opposed to any criticism of the government, or the banking system, or whatever other establishments there are. And encouraging the removal of these institutions is seen as dangerous agitation or whatever.

Yeah, but the Question is WHY??????????

In fairness, that's the first time that "why" has been used in this thread!

I'm not sure what you're asking exactly. Why what? Why is questioning the system seen as agitation? Well, people in power are going to try and portray it as dangerous, so perhaps media has a hand to play, and I'd guess a lot of people are unwilling to question what they're comfortable with. Also, issues can be so complex that thinking about them really leads anywhere, unless you devote a lot of time to it; as in an amount of time equivalent to having a job.

A few reasons.

OK, slightly OT, but I's the fault of it:o
    I were at Mass today, First time in 7-10 Years, I found that I still knew most of the words, and Could Fully recite the Bits required, Thats Rote learnin, when you dont stop to examine the stuff your being fed,, Times Tables are useless without a purpose;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Que "experts" in evolutionary psychology saying that human nature=greed+worship of authority (in this instance), with reference to the Milligram experiment and chimpanzees. Bah.

The question is difficult to answer without raising more questions, people lacksadaisically make assumptions about human nature on the internet which you're inviting here for the purposes of debate of course. I used to be tilted toward the evolutionary mindset but upon talking with a former acquintance I suggest we look at our culture which promotes certain traits over others.

I know what rote learning is; I was asking what it had to do with my post.
    Rote learning seems to work for some people, but I could never get the hang of it. I needed to kinda understand what I was doing, was a bit of a curse at times in the Leaving Cert system!

Nyarlo, spoticus as ever,
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSY5zljmZ6jMIodoW_rVgUpfefY8y-Rcx4weduYEfvHeDoSLJRYmQ&t=1
    altho I was tempted to use the GIF for 'We need to go Derper' :D:D

Undergod, do you get my point about mass tho???????

Not sure I do, tbh! How does it relate to anitdisestablishmentarianism?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

It won't work. Too many dociles:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,328 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Mahatma, unless you post a clear and concise explanation of what the conspiracy is and your own opinion on the matter, I'm going to lock this thread and give you an infraction. None of your posts in this thread, which you started, have been clear and are what i would consider to be borderline trolling. That, or you can PM me to lock the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

More of a disantidisestablishmentarianism myself.
    The multiantidisestablishmentarianismists and the monoantidisestablishmentarianismists take it too far. Don't get me started on the triantidisestablishmentarianismists.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

fontanalis wrote: »
    More of a disantidisestablishmentarianism myself.
    The multiantidisestablishmentarianismists and the monoantidisestablishmentarianismists take it too far. Don't get me started on the triantidisestablishmentarianismists.

what he said.. but what about the untriantidisestablishmentarianismists

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭espinolman

Its always been a problem , establishedantidisestablishmenttarianism has .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement