Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would really appreciate some opinions on attached pic

Options
  • 26-04-2011 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭

Hi - I'm getting the outside of my house painted soon. Being a bloke I realise I have no clue about colours and all that lark, so I'd love to get some suggestions on a colour scheme to go with. As you can see it's currently cream / white and black foundation.

All suggestions appreciated, also if anyone has any links to good websites showing different external colour schemes. As well as the walls I also want to change the colour of the door..was thinking of red but have no idea if it would go with the windows etc.

Cheers
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭emer_b

The Weathershield website is not bad at all for ideas and tips on getting started. They also have a virtual painting tool to try out ideas, haven't used it myself.
    Personally I would keep the walls very light, nuetral colours which are great to update and modernise a house. Also, there are very few colours that wont go with timber (unless you're going with med/dark brown shades, which I wouldn't) so I wouldn't worry about the windows matching. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Some_randomer

Thanks Emer, was thinking of red for the front door just to give the house a lift, otherwise it's be be creams and browns which is a bit boring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭emer_b

I wouldn't say boring, you could use strong colours and be sick of them next year! The red door will set it off nicely, add a few coloured flower pots beside the door and it'll be gorgeous!

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭MIRMIR82

I would have to agree with Emer - mad colours and you'll get sick of them very quickly. I think myself you can't beat black and white - do the window sills black too and the red door would be lovely with those colours. It might sound a bit boring, but i promise it will stand out and look great:)

Thanks mirmir black window sills sound very interesting, almost gothic :) Honestly would never have thought of that. One painter I spoke to suggested cream on the main part, a slightly darker biscuit colour in between then brown foundations. Sounds very boring to me but maybe it could work.

Do neighbours expect other people on their street to keep houses the same colour. 3 houses down the street all have a similar colour so I'm wondering do people get angry if house colours aren't kept fairly similar?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭redser7

Our house is cream/magnolia with the window cills and damp proof section in dark dark brown. The front door is a glossy pillar box red. Looks great (people often comment). Tip for door, don't apply gloss on a sunny day, the heat makes bubbles rise. And apply a thin thin thin coat first. Be patient and allow if to dry before adding the next coat. Prodded mine to check and ended up with wrinkles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

I love red for a front door. It always catches my eye.
    I think a strong green would go better with the brown frames tho.
    I'd keep the walls neutral. White would be nice and fresh.

redser7 wrote: »
    Our house is cream/magnolia with the window cills and damp proof section in dark dark brown. The front door is a glossy pillar box red. Looks great (people often comment)

That's kind of the look I had in mind cream and brown then a red front door. Don't suppose you have a picture handy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Paul.C

http://www.dulux.ie/servlet/ColourAvailabilityHandler?name=bitter_chocolate

I painted a house that colour a month ago

Gardenia on the walls, Bitter chocolate on the sills and trim and monarch on the door. It looked sweet and was very happy with it. If your not mad about the gardenia then magnolia works very well with these too and is inexpensive

Hope this helps;)

Edit just a quick addition, scrape and paint your facia and soffit bitter chocolate too

Advertisement