Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12V Ipod dock

Options
  • 26-04-2011 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭

Anyone know where I can get my hands on a 12V ipod dock for the camper. So we can have our own festival inside the van?

Lots of 240 ones, and nowhere online seems to list the spec as having a 12v traffo on them..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

sorry fingers cant help but just a heads up, we were charging a IPhone through the inverter last year and it never worked again !!
    the phone that is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 macan

Hello Fingers,
    What I use for the I pod in the van is the little FM transmitters that play your music through any FM radio. You can pick them up in any electrical shop for around 20 Euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

macan wrote: »
    Hello Fingers,
    What I use for the I pod in the van is the little FM transmitters that play your music through any FM radio. You can pick them up in any electrical shop for around 20 Euro.

Ta. Not looking to use the radio in the van though, this needs to be on the leisure side of the van.
    sorry fingers cant help but just a heads up, we were charging a IPhone through the inverter last year and it never worked again !!
    the phone that is

Not intending to use an inverter or site power. Want to run it off 12V

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

We use a Logitec Pure-fi Anywhere 2, It has a 12.9 v input which might work for you, we only use it on the mains input but the beauty of it is that it's rechargeable/go anywhere and battery lasts for 6-8 hrs.
    About €100 in Harvey Normans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Hi Fingers,
    Only just seen this posting.
    Why not use an inverter?. I've one in my camper and one in my car. they just plug into the cigarette lighter socket (I assume you have a socket in the leisure side), they have a normal 13amp plug socket on top and a USB socket on the side. Using this means I can take any small household item, such as electric razor, radio alarm clock, ipod dock and also charge my smart phone without any hassle.
    I wouldn't be without one.

• Advertisement

Just a P.S. to the above.

Don't try using it to boil a kettle. I did when I had a power cut in the house. It blew the car fuse.
    Seemed a good idea at the time!.:eek:

I have a 500W inverter in my commercial van which I don't use. Not sure why I didn't put it into the camper though, there was definitely something putting me off it.....

You'd need a massive inverter to boil a kettle in it, about 4KW.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Ta. Not looking to use the radio in the van though, this needs to be on the leisure side of the van.

Why not wire the radio from the leisure battery, then you need never worry about running down the starting battery by using the radio.

Have a look HERE for what's available in the line of 12volt power supply / chargers. I wouldn't go near inverters for this kind of low load stuff, they can use a good few amps (depending on size) just to power themselves using valuable juice from the battery for no return.
    As a rule of thumb, an inverter should be the smallest possible for the job.

If your radio has an 'aux in' you will be able to play the iPod directly through the radio, the FM transmitters are only OK, we have one but often are unable to find a clear frequency which will not interfere with the iPod output, our preference is to use the cable to the 'aux in' on the radio.

Dunno, I just never considered to wire the radio to the leisure side of things. I guess I was rushing to get things done and never bothered to think about it.

I think also, the idea of being able to bring it into the house and use it at home with a power supply also has its appeal...

I have a 500W inverter in my commercial van which I don't use. Not sure why I didn't put it into the camper though, there was definitely something putting me off it.....

You'd need a massive inverter to boil a kettle in it, about 4KW.:eek:

Thanks Fingers.

NOW you tell me :o.

• Advertisement

With regard to niloc's posting, my leisure battery is charged solely through a solar panel I fitted on the roof, so the power taken during the few dark hours that it's used, is replaced during the greater number of daylight hours when it's not in use.
    It works fine for me.

Thanks Fingers.

NOW you tell me :o.

What can I say, you only asked now..........:cool:

P.S. For an inverter of that size, it'd eat you're leisure battery for breakfast. Best off with the gas.......

I think also, the idea of being able to bring it into the house and use it at home with a power supply also has its appeal...
    :confused::confused::confused:

niloc1951 wrote: »
    :confused::confused::confused:

Confused? Why?

An Ipod dock with speakers that runs on 12V. Can be used in the house with a power supply to run it

Simples really.

Confused? Why?

An Ipod dock with speakers that runs on 12V. Can be used in the house with a power supply to run it

Simples really.

How about something similar to this Philips SBD7500 Portable Speaker Dock for iPhone and iPod, it works on AC via an AC adapter or AA batteries and you could get a Universal 3A DC Power Supply to power the unit when only 12v is available if you want to save on batteries.

Remember that a piece of electronics marked with a 12volt input could have its life shortened if connected directly to a vehicle 12volt system.
    Over 14volts can be delivered during stages of battery charging, that's in the region of 20% extra and may be outside the tolerance of the unit.

Now that sounds like a plan to me......

Thanks for that..

Advertisement