Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lieu Time Owed ?

Options
  • 26-04-2011 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi everyone

I am a Part Time employee, and I am currently working my resignation

My question is - I have worked all of the bank and public holidays - yes all of them , to which I received ( and still do for bank holidays) double time,

HOWEVER - magically since St. Stephens Day, we now get Time In Lieu also.

There are 44hours of bank holidays which i received no Lieu time for.
    ( i did work 40hours previous to the bank holiday - i know that is a requirement)

I have reservations about bringing this up to my manager.
    But IF I am entitled to the Lieu time, I want it - in my pay before i leave.
    It is brushed under the carpet and avoided by management - no one seems to know, although I think they do.
    I would just like some advice....

Thank you kindly

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

first of all there are 9 public holidays in the year covered by legislation. good friday is a bank holiday, but not a public holiday, and thus is not covered by legislation. i would be 99% certain that what you mean is that since St Stephens day your employer has imposed a change in the terms and conditions of your employment in that he is now saying you will get time off in lieu of working on a public holiday INSTEAD of being paid double. this means that if you worked on the public holiday he will pay you for the day but instead of having to pay you an extra days pay for it, he will now give you time off instead, of course with full pay. this in itself is within the law, but changing the terms and conditions of your employment without your prior permission is not:(

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ScriptGirl

Mrsbyrne, thank you kindly for your reply.

yes since St Stephen Day this has changed.
    however, I have still received double time for these days, plus (now) Time in Lieu.

Now that you say they have changed my contract, would make sense.
    I get the feeling I was entitled to it all along but because it was never brought up (presuming it was for full time staff alone) I didn't receive it.

I'm nervous to be honest about approaching my boss about it ( she has a way of making you feel stupid and will go out of her way to dismiss you) . What should I say. I hate causing issues. then again I have worked 44 hours of holidays to which I did not receive what I should have

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

Why complain ? you are getting a better deal now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ScriptGirl

Why complain ? you are getting a better deal now.

I'm leaving.

Advertisement