Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox live disconnecting

Options
  • 26-04-2011 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Every 30 minutes i get disconnected from xbox live, I called eircom support and they said that there is nothing wrong with the connection and to call xbox support. when i called xbox support they said that the connection is fine too and both claim that they never had this problem before. I use a wirless adaptor to connect and a friend of mine uses an ethernet and we both have the same problem and both live very close to the eircom exchange. i have an 8 mbps connection and my ping is about 50ms. PLEASE HELP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Could be settings on your router not the line. (If it's the line then you'd see your internet dropping too from another machine laptop\desktop).

Hope these links help.

http://support.xbox.com/pages/xbox-live/troubleshoot/connection-issues/connect-xbox-live.aspx

http://support.xbox.com/pages/xbox-live/get-started/connecting/default.aspx

Also if you run a quick search here you might find other threads about the same issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 6079smith

I have the firewall set to low and can connect but after 30 minutes i get disconnected, no other devices lose connection when this happens

6079smith wrote: »
    I have the firewall set to low and can connect but after 30 minutes i get disconnected, no other devices lose connection when this happens

Wouldn't be your firewall. Could be a NAT or port issue. So it's nothing to do with the line (Eircom) if other machines are connecting to the net fine and are not dropping comms.

Check those guides or search this forum for other threads that might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

we had the same problem with a belkin router. it used disconnect for a split second which wont effect your laptop because you dont notice it but its enough to disconnect from xbl

garv123 wrote: »
    we had the same problem with a belkin router. it used disconnect for a split second which wont effect your laptop because you dont notice it but its enough to disconnect from xbl
    what did use do to fix it

• Advertisement

what did use do to fix it

no one had solutions and was told belkin routers were sh!te so we got a new netgear one.

no one had solutions and was told belkin routers were sh!te so we got a new netgear one.

So it's the router then OP. Check it's settings and\or update the firmware if you can.

On a pc\laptop go start - run and type "cmd" and hit enter.

A black dos window will open up. Type "ipconfig /all" and press enter again (without the quotation marks).

You should get a number after default gateway.

Put that in to the address bar in your browser (it'll be something like 192.168.1.254 if it's Eircom).

That'll bring you in to the router settings.

this only started happenin when i got the new black eircom router, it was fine with there old one

this only started happenin when i got the new black eircom router, it was fine with there old one

if the old router worked perfectly it must be the router. i dont know feck all about them to help you though op:o

if the old router worked perfectly it must be the router. i dont know feck all about them to help you though op:o

Hey OP are you actually looking for someone to tell you step by step what to do or are you going to try to search for a resolution yourself?

I'll point you in another direction.

http://www.google.ie/search?q=router+settings+xbox+live&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭HxGH

I had the same problem. I had about 6/7mbps avg. coming into the house but the xbox was only getting a fraction of this for some reason. Tweaked the router settings slightly and it started working fine. Good luck OP.

chin_grin wrote: »
    Hey OP are you actually looking for someone to tell you step by step what to do or are you going to try to search for a resolution yourself?

I'll point you in another direction.

http://www.google.ie/search?q=router+settings+xbox+live&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a

no was looking for some one who had a simalr problem

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

This is the exact same problem I have. It's definitely the router, I have the same one as you. There are a lot of threads on here complaining about the Zyxel routers Eircom are giving out.

I plan to replace mine very soon, can't stand getting disconnected in the middle of a match in FIFA or watever :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

This is a known problem for those using the zyxel eircom router, and connecting over wireless to the xbox, using WPA as security.

The best solution is to buy a better adsl router, however there are 2 workarounds:

You need to be able to login to your router and find the "WPA Reathentication timer". It will be set to 1800 secs (30 minutes), you can increase this to 9999 secs, which means you'll get 2 hrs 40 mins between disconnects.

Another option is to switch from WPA to WEP - it's *not* as secure, but it won't disconnect at all when using WEP.

pH wrote: »
    This is a known problem for those using the zyxel eircom router, and connecting over wireless to the xbox, using WPA as security.

The best solution is to buy a better adsl router, however there are 2 workarounds:

You need to be able to login to your router and find the "WPA Reathentication timer". It will be set to 1800 secs (30 minutes), you can increase this to 9999 secs, which means you'll get 2 hrs 40 mins between disconnects.

Another option is to switch from WPA to WEP - it's *not* as secure, but it won't disconnect at all when using WEP.

Works great now Thanks so much pH

• Registered Users Posts: 3 pumpkin747

hi ph!, i done this, and it still keeps changing itself back to 1800. any ideas how to make it stay at 9999
    thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭TheFullDuck

I have the same disconnection problem with a BT voyager. if I buy a new router can I just plug that in and carry on as normal?

Advertisement