Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car insurance conundrum!

Options
  • 26-04-2011 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hi all,

Picking up a new car and looking at insuring myself as policy holder on an existing car as well as the new one.....I would also be insuring my partner as a named driver on the new car. I thought that it would be fairly straight forward but Aviva told me that I cant be policy holder on two cars as it would affect my no claims bonus and that my partner would have to be policy holder on one of the cars for it to work.....which is something we dont want, as she would only need to use the new one and I ll use both. Any suggestions or similar experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

She could be the policy holder on the new car and you could be named on the policy. If you already have your own car/policy, adding you as a named driver to her policy would be cheap, or possibly even free.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Nononolan

stevenmu wrote: »
    She could be the policy holder on the new car and you could be named on the policy. If you already have your own car/policy, adding you as a named driver to her policy would be cheap, or possibly even free.

Forgot to say, shes on her 2nd provisional so putting her down as named driver is more expensive, trying to do it for as little as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

You will have to put your partner as a policy holder on new car policy, and addd yourself as a named driver (in many cases it costs nothing), or if it seems to be expensive (eg your partner doesn't have ncb) just insure yourself on a new car, your partner on old one, and add her as a named driver on one of them.

BTW it is weird, that one person cannot have two policies for two cars, as you cant drive two cars at the time,. there isn't extra risk - at least I cant see any...

Advertisement