Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It doesnt make sense

Options
  • 26-04-2011 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭

Suckler cows with calf at foot making 2000 when dairy cows in the same mart are only making 1200.
    Madness!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Suckler cows with calf at foot making 2000 when dairy cows in the same mart are only making 1200.
    Madness!

Its all about Supply + Demand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

reilig wrote: »
    Its all about Supply + Demand

The question is, what is driving the demand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

Madness!
    what type of sucklers ? we are thinking of downsizing our suckler herd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

i see some nice looking parthenaise heifers fit for bulling on donedeal today..owner looking for 1500 a piece! maybe 2 k for a nice cow with calf at foot might not seem bad value if lads are looking for that kinda money for heifers not even in calf yet. but still if i were in the market for a few sucklers i would nt be able to spend that kinda money, I wonder about the chap selling off his herd in ennis on good friday, i suppose he couldnt have picked a better time to sell, must have had well over 100 grand in his pocket after sale. trouble is when/ if he goes back farming he will have to start from scratch

According to today's farming Indo, cattle are scarce. They have an article about bargaining with factories for better prices because they say that factory supplies are at a critical level.

If factory prices rise in the coming weeks, will it not put more confidence in the markets and lead to higher mart prices?

This is teh third week in a row that the farming indo has had a small articlt stating that mart prices have risen an average of €40 per head. That means that you could buy the same animal at €120 less only a month ago.

A lot of arses are going to scrape the tarmac if the bottom falls out of this !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

whelan1 wrote: »
    what type of sucklers ? we are thinking of downsizing our suckler herd

Limos with blue calves.

Even with beef prices up, milk price is also good at the moment and a dairy cow will leave you with a better profit margin. Also there is a shortage of dairy heifers so I just cant see how lads can justify that pice for a suckler cow

I just got this from the marts page in the farming indo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

.....I wonder about the chap selling off his herd in ennis on good friday, i suppose he couldnt have picked a better time to sell, must have had well over 100 grand in his pocket after sale. trouble is when/ if he goes back farming he will have to start from scratch

From what I hear, he had already bought in heifers before the sale. Has has a guy looking after them while he travels. As for €100k, he sold over 75 cows with calves, so more like over €150k.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭bt12

supposed to be starting milking cows when he comes back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

as far as i am concerned it makes total sence,when i was milking a good heifer cost 1500 up to 2000 euro and she was pbr and had yields of 1700gals behind her as far as i can see these heifers are still makeing that money, now a 1200 euro cow is for only average stock was then and still is, as for suckler cows its the same princible 2000 euro for a cow that will give you a 1000euro weanling.more lads moveing to blues but need better cows and are prepaired to pay for them .also the dairy cow has a quota that she has to produce under which will mean the value of that animal is under influence of the national qouta been under or over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Most of the cows were black limousins. They looked like 1/2 bred from britsh freisians. They were fine big cows and like I said already, they were huge at the hips. It looked like most of the quality in the weanlings were coming from that fine blue bull that made the €7,000. They were a couple of calves there by OVO and the limousin Rocky, but these looked ordinary compared to what the bull was producing. Even though the weanlings were muscular, they weren't exactly tight gutted. They all had good deep guts on them. They were getting this from the bull too, not just the cow.
    So you got to ask, what's was so special about these cows. Couldn't anybody, given the time, pick up heifers like these by trawling the marts. Seems a better option to me than paying €2,300 for a 10 year old 1/2 bred cow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭poor farmer

Farming indo also tells us that live exports are down 35%
    Are we not inevitably heading for a crash

I think they were talking about sheep exports???????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

was this not down to drop in calf exports and not weanlings,exporters have been on here looking for stock.and the only one going to crash as always is the fool working for the factories and this man will have a big impact on the man producing these weanlings for him.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Madness!

I'd say anybody who sold suckler cows last autumn is feeling sore, my light weanlings sold last wk made more than the good ones last autumn. Why is there such demand for su cows at the moment? :confused:

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

pakalasa wrote: »
    From what I hear, he had already bought in heifers before the sale. Has has a guy looking after them while he travels. As for €100k, he sold over 75 cows with calves, so more like over €150k.

that should keep him going in Thailand for a few weeks anyway ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Atilathehun

Every farmers journal and every farming independent I have read for the last 6 weeks, declares cattle prices are up by anything up to €30 on the week before.
    cant understand this headline, as when I look at detail price by weight bracket for young stock for example, I see prices are no better than when I last sold stock in early February.
    I think it's all misinformation to be honest, except maybe for suckler cows and factory animals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

four things are happening together 1cattle prices are looking up 2fellas want to get heads for single farm payment in case of ref year 3 grass growing mad, some fellas got a burning on bales so want graze instead 4 lots of fellas are knocking around farms with nothing to do

Advertisement