Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foster Mare Query

Options
  • 26-04-2011 1:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi , I'm wondering if anyone has had experience of using a foster mare and how much did it cost.
    I have a mare due to foal in the coming weeks and unfortunately she has developed Sarcoids near her dug, there could be a possibility that she may not let the foal suck an I'm just assessing all my options in case the worse materialises.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭biomech

have had 2 experiences of this, first time 100% success but unfortunatly the second time 0% success.

What we learned was the reaction time is critical and we were very lucky the first time. Foal got first feed and everything was ok, after 24hrs we began to realise mare was not well, So as vet diagnosed mare we were preparing for the worst. Mare was put down and freshly foaled foster mare in the yard within 3hrs. every 2 to 3 hours for 48 hrs my dad brought mare into house with foal and held mare while foal drank, this means at night too.....

After that we left them together supervised for a few hours at a time for another 48hrs and then straight out to the paddock again supervised but everything went fine
    The mare in this case was lethal dangerous type so we were very carful with her but very quickly became a proper mother to our foal.

Second time another mare made no milk, and was a proper pig to be fair to her. very sour type.
    Got collustrum from vet and a bit of milk cubes to get us through the night. got a mare the next morn and the foal drank and everything was great. IIRC he went backwards within 24hrs and was put down. Verdict was collustrum was no good(prob just normal milk) and foster mare had very little/barely enough which didnt help

So as i said time spent getting freshly foaled mare, getting collustrum into them, were critical.
    As for the trick of getting foal to drink/mare to stand, youll be so desperate youll figure it out quickly enough and if you dont you should get help

In your case i would let foal try to suck and see how he (hope its a he) gets on, if not sedate your mare straight away and i mean knock her for six and hand milk her and bottle feed your foal, do it every day for a few days if you have to while you get a mare to take over

as for cost i cant comment as we got our mare very cheap.. i think i heard of 1000 to 1500 spoke of at the time for a proper mare.

hope this helps

Advertisement