Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fan speed switch problem

Options
  • 26-04-2011 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭

Hi Folks

Looking for a little bit of advice

The selector switch on the cab air fan works fine on setting 1 & 2 but has stopped working on setting 3 & 4

The question that I have is

Does the fan have 2 separate fuses (ie 1 for lower speed settings and 1 for higher), is it a faulty switch or just a loose connection

The van is a 2003 Fiat Ducato

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭zoltar_boi

I had a similar problem on a 2000 Ducato. I was advised that there is a controller in a heating duct that can go, and nothing to do with fuses. I got a new second hand unit from a van breakers for about 20 and fitted it myself.

Pm me if you want more info. If you give me a number in it i'll call you to tell you where it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Malta1

PM just sent

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Generally the resistor pack in the motor is the culprit. Common on cars too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

when the rheostat fails on a Ducato (95-02) , it'll still work on full speed , and not on any other speed. It's easy change , 2 screws and a plug . sometimes you've to drop off a section of the lower dash , that's quite easy.

OK.....fan back working

Had a look at the fan unit and wiggled the wire connection into the unit.....the fan now works on all settings

Root Cause: Wifes big feet?? (now ya dont have to tell her that I said that ;))

Cheers for all the replies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Malta1 wrote: »
    OK.....fan back working

Had a look at the fan unit and wiggled the wire connection into the unit.....the fan now works on all settings

Root Cause: Wifes big feet?? (now ya dont have to tell her that I said that ;))

Cheers for all the replies

We won't, but we can't promise she won't read this thread tho....

Right....have to resurect this one
    Had the van out for a drive a couple of weeks back and had the fan turned up to max for a while before we departed (probably 15 mins). When driving I then realised that the fan had stopped working all together

Pulled the fan out when got home and confirmed that all is OK with fan.....ran direct off 12V for a couple of seconds

Then pulled the "resistor pack" out.....OMG I have never seen anything so rusted

Bought a new resistor pack from e-bay (same model number) but it defintely is different (original resistor had 4 "prongs" into the resistor pack body....the new one has 4 also but the middle 2 look like they are connected outside the resistor pack)
    Anyway, fitted the new pack and the fan runs fine on setting 2 but not a kick out of it on any other setting. Also noticed that the resistor pack became very hot very quickly

So the question
    1) Have I just got the wrong resistor or have I got a switch problem?
    2) Should the resistor pack get hot (too hot to handle)

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

Did you run the fan with the Rheostat out? If so it's probably fried . It is kept cool by the fan blowing air past it .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

As aidan says it relies on the air flow to cool it, some resistor packs have a soldered spring that pops open when they overheat you can solder it back together.

Cheers folks

Trying to source another one and will have another go

• Advertisement
Advertisement