Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a Tablet PC... should I wait for 3G?

Options
  • 26-04-2011 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

EDIT: oops just found the Android forum, can someone move this thread there please?

Good day all,

I've decided to buy a tablet PC. we already have two laptops in the house but now one must go back as it was only borrowed from its owner. So the tablet will be mostly be used for browsing web, watching online content e.g music, videos, films etc
    I suppose i should say first off that I do not want to buy an Ipad. No offence to all the Apple lovers out there (cos i know that it hurts when not everyone loves your apple product) its just that i do not like the closed shop scenario you get with apple products forcing you to get itunes and see and updated product released 6 months later.

So what do I want:
    - Android 3.0 (honeycomb).
    - Connectivity, e.g. usb, sd, microSD, HDMI, etc the more the better.
    - A 10.1 inch screen
    - Bluetooth
    - WiFi capable (most tablets are i think)
    - 3G ?????

So, after a search I was left with the following...

- Motorola XOOM: expensive, limited connectivity €579 in pcworld
    - ASUS EE Pad Transformer: no usb unless you buy the docking station available june 1st £429
    - ACER Iconia Tab A500: the one I had settled to buy £449 amazon.co.uk

However now i'm wondering If i should just wait for 3G capability to arrive with these tablets. The ACER iconia TAB A501 is exactly the same as the A500 but has 3G capability. However its not on sale yet, and when it does become for sale I will only have to sign up to a data plan wont i? Do i really need 3G on my tablet? I already have a usb dongle that i pay for data on the laptop, cant i connect this to the tablet?

cheers for any thoughts/ideas from people in the know or those in a similar situation...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

If you have an Android phone that will act as a WiFi hotspot, then I don't see the need for 3G version. Remember, a tablet is something you use occasionally & sporadically - not need to have a permanent connection (or associated costs), like with your phone - that's just my opinion on the matter...

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭goldsalmon33

Sound advice Bluefoam, cheers

I've been leaning towards that decision based on other friends advice recently. I'm almost decided i think on the Acer now. What do you reckon about the prices? Amazon is the cheapest place i could find it, although not really sure where to look other than amazon and PCW?????

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Sound advice Bluefoam, cheers

I've been leaning towards that decision based on other friends advice recently. I'm almost decided i think on the Acer now. What do you reckon about the prices? Amazon is the cheapest place i could find it, although not really sure where to look other than amazon and PCW?????

I haven't looked into the prices for tablets fully yet. I'll probably get one in the next 6 months. Being a HTC Fandroid, I'll probably wait till they release a 10" version...

I hear the ASUS is a fantastic piece of kit. I played with a Blackberry one today and wasn't too keen - it was very heavy & the user interface didn't do an awful lot for me + you need a blackberry to use with it or its useless...

Advertisement