Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No prize for a 147

Options
  • 25-04-2011 11:42pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Instead of the usual stg£147,000 prize for getting a maximum on the hallowed baize at The Crucible, there is no such prize this year.

There is still a £10,000 (previously £20,000) highest break prize on offer but it's a real shame that all (or most) of this years tournaments haven't had a seperate cheque.

Let's face it, we know 147's are more frequent than they used to be (for a number of reasons) but they are still very special and even more so at Sheffield.

We remember back at the World Open in september when Ronnie asked the ref after 8 points if there was a prize, the ref said no and Ronnie potted up to the pink for 140 and cheekily wasn't going to pot the black in protest. Mark Williams has also givin his say on it this week.

Come on World Snooker and bring back the 147 prize money!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭zack01

I'm sort of 50/50 on this one Celtic, yes i agree that a 147 no matter at what venue it's made should indeed carry a special prize, on the other hand they should put the extra cash into the overall prize fund. For example if they did that this years winners cheque in Sheffied could reach £300K !!

O'Sullivan made a good point earlier in the season that at the start of every season the maximum prize should say for instance start at £50 K, if there is no max then it should roll over to the next event and an extra £50 K, then it would really begin to start getting interesting if there was no max come Sheffield time as next season there is a possibility of eleven ranking events!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

i like the idea that o'sullivan suggested alright for 147 prize money. Also noticed ronnie earlier placing the white outside the D which was mooted as another possible idea to spruce things up. Might introduce this into my weekly games.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

Hmmm, interesting that JP mentioed on commentary during Graeme Dott's 147 attempt that the sponsors Betfred are also giving £20,000 to the charity of the players choice if they get a 147. Nice gesture.
    zack01 wrote: »
    I'm sort of 50/50 on this one Celtic, yes i agree that a 147 no matter at what venue it's made should indeed carry a special prize, on the other hand they should put the extra cash into the overall prize fund. For example if they did that this years winners cheque in Sheffied could reach £300K !!

O'Sullivan made a good point earlier in the season that at the start of every season the maximum prize should say for instance start at £50 K, if there is no max then it should roll over to the next event and an extra £50 K, then it would really begin to start getting interesting if there was no max come Sheffield time as next season there is a possibility of eleven ranking events!!

It is indeed a good idea, but it may well become awkward with regard to sponsors for different tournaments meeting those obligations and putting money towards it even if a maxi is not made at the tournament etc. Also the fact that a £10,000 to £20,000 prize was generally the norm at most tournaments, with the WC obviously having a huge £147,000 prize and The Masters having some mad prizes like £80,000 sports cars and other big cheques (albeit during the era of cigarette sponsorship).

There's definitely some scope for a running prize though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭zack01

At last common sense has prevailed and snookers governing body have reintroduced a cash prize for a 147 break. The prize starts at £5,000 and will rollover after each ranking event if the break is not made.

Advertisement