Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ubuntu 10.10 and 3 data mobile brodband

Options
  • 25-04-2011 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭

how's it's going all
    how can i can set up my 3 usb data modem to work with my ubuntu 10.10 netboook remix. ive set it up as you would by adding it in network connections but i cant get to work by pulling it in directly to my netbook.
    any thoughs

the netbook is asus eee pc 900
    the 3 data modem is top up
    and ive got it working before

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭niallb

Which model of modem is it?
    Is this the same model that you used before?
    When you say you added it through network connections 'as you would',
    do you mean that after inserting the modem, you clicked on the new item in
    the menu for 3G connection, and configured it as a Three Ireland connection?

It's just when you say you can't get it to work by pulling (plugging I presume) directly,
    it leaves the possibility that you set it up first, and then plugged it in.
    If you do that, the modem may not match the settings.

Try deleting the settings you have, plug in the modem, wait a few moments and start again by clicking on the network menu icon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

niallb wrote: »
    Which model of modem is it?
    Is this the same model that you used before?
    When you say you added it through network connections 'as you would',
    do you mean that after inserting the modem, you clicked on the new item in
    the menu for 3G connection, and configured it as a Three Ireland connection?

It's just when you say you can't get it to work by pulling (plugging I presume) directly,
    it leaves the possibility that you set it up first, and then plugged it in.
    If you do that, the modem may not match the settings.

Try deleting the settings you have, plug in the modem, wait a few moments and start again by clicking on the network menu icon.

model-huawei e160g hsdpa usb stick
    same as before
    to connect i go into network manager and add a device under mobile broadband ( so yes)
    i've tried it all ways setting it up then setting it up and setting it up and then putting in the modem..
    i 'll give it a minute before i configure the settings

thanks

p.s. i have the router so i can still use the usb dongle but it harder to use "on the go"

tryed it and no luck here how i connected

and

ok i left the 3 dongle in for about a minute and a half before doing this .
    will you have a look and have a think about it

doesnt matter i somehow got it working

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭niallb

Glad you got it working, but how it happened might matter to the next person reading this thread.

I can't make out anything useful from most of those screenshots because the window is in the way.
    Just press "Print Screen" to avoid having it blocked, and make sure you drop down the network menu first.

In the last one, what I can make out is that there is no 3G device detected at that point.
    There is no point configuring the connection until you see it there.

When you right click on the network icon, you get the options to enable/disable different kinds of network connection.
    With the device inserted, you will have the extra option to "Enable Mobile Broadband". It's a power saving option to default to disabled.
    Once that is done, the normal left click dropdown will contain entries to add new mobile broadband connection, or activate one that's already configured.

sorry about the s.s but i thought it be taken the photo a second or two after i hit s.s.
    well for the next person

i plug in the dongle waited a minute
    i went into network connections
    hit add mobile broadband
    selected by plan on default everthing
    then i fit applied and
    i think i pulled it out and a few minute later plugged it back in
    then after a minute (30 sec) it was in the network manager in the top hand corner i found it
    hope it helped for some1 in the further

Advertisement