Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I buy my Macbook Pro now?

Options
  • 25-04-2011 10:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭

Sorry if a similar thread has already been posted but im going over to the states this spring and was wondering if most of you think now is the right time to purchase my first 13 inch Macbook Pro.

I am aware Apple introduced the new Intel Core i7 and i5 processors and Thunderbolt ports to their machines recently. But I am just curious if most of you think an updated version of the Macbook pro or a complete redesign will take place before next year 2012? Comparing to the iphone, ipods and ipads there hasn't been a complete redesign of the Macbooks in quite a while.

And when OS lion is released will all macs be installed with that OS or will you have to purchase it ?

If there is going to be an update in the near future what could we expect in the next Macbook Pro? Jobs stated that the Macbook air is the future for all laptops so possibly a thinner and lighter version might be produced without an optical loading slot which I dont desire.

For those of you in possession of the current Macbook Pro, are they decent gaming machines?

Lastly if there is an update and the new version does not appeal to me, will Apple usually sell a last batch of the previous versions?

Thanks for any response.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I don't think the Macbook pro was ever really changed dramatically! If you want one now then it's only out a few months. It's a good time to buy. Got a 13" a week ago. Savage machine. Very fast for day to day stuff. Don't play games so graphics perfectly adequate too. There will most likely be nothing drastic next year.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

You might be better asking at the mac forum here

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭HMD

According to macrumors.com now is a good time to buy
    Product MacBook Pro
    Recommendation: Buy - Product recently updated
    Last Release February 24, 2011
    Days Since Update 61 (Avg = 215)
    Recent Rumors
    04/25: Next MacBook Pro to Get New Case Design
    04/18: New MacBook Pro to Drive Strong First Quarter Mac Sales Growth?
    04/18: Fix for 2011 17-Inch MacBook Pro SATA Issues Found
    04/11: ThunderBolt Products Starting to Roll Out at NAB
    03/21: 2011 MacBook Pros Crashing Under Load?
    03/17: 2011 MacBook Pros Experiencing Issues With Home Sharing in iTunes
    03/11: Some New MacBook Pros Causing Flickering in 24-Inch Cinema Displays?
    03/09: 16 GB RAM Upgrades for New MacBook Pros Now Available
    03/07: 'Secret' Firmware Update Unlocks Support for 8 GB RAM on 'Late 2008' Notebooks
    02/25: MacBook Pro Rumor Wrap-Up: Winners and Losers
    ...more...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭!MAVERICK!

whiterebel wrote: »
    You might be better asking at the mac forum here

Thanks can a moderator move this over there please.

HMD wrote: »
    According to macrumors.com now is a good time to buy

I saw that myself yeah, but it doesnt really answer my questions though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

You'll have to buy lion. If windows 8 was on the horizon would you expect to get it if you bought a windows based pc now? 30 days is usually the sweet spot though. Lion will be cheap enough probably €129 and there's none of this home premium ****e with different versions.

There will most likely be a complete redesign in 2012 if the rumours are true.

They are good for playing games, exact same as any laptop with the same spec.

To get a previous gen MacBook pro you'll need to use apple's refurb store or adverts.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭IRISHREDSTAR

Get a windows pc instead then you can watch blu-rays but if you like being told what you can do get a applerulebook

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Get a windows pc instead then you can watch blu-rays but if you like being told what you can do get a applerulebook

Ha....

Or unless your Windows laptop comes with a bulit in Blu Ray player, do as everyone else would do...buy an external one and use it.

Or just listen to the Trolls out there

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,472 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I doubt we'll see another Rev until the next major case redesign next year, having said that the screen is an archaic 1280x800 on the 13 and a disgrace for the price point. I'd hold off on the slim chance that they'd put the MBA 13 panel in.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭QuadLeo

Hahaha

but if you'd prefer not to have to service and maintain your computer constantly and pay for antivirus every year buy the macbook pro... not to mention all the other benefits yadayadayada....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭fasty

Just buy one now. There's always going to be a new version and a redesign is a risk, but the current MBPs are pretty great.

I wouldn't expect a major redesign. Perhaps the next version will drop the optical drive and introduce SSD as standard, who knows? The unibody shape isn't going anywhere.

For games... I've got the higher end 15" model so it has a decent, OpenGL 4.0/D3D11 capable GPU. I haven't installed Win7 on it yet but all the Source engine games I've tried run great. Portal 2 will stick mostly to 60fps with VSync on and everything on full with 2x AA. The fan doesn't turn into a jet engine either and while the CPU does heat up a lot, it never feels too hot.

The 13" model would be a mistake if you want to game on it.

Regarding getting older versions of machines. You can usually pick them up in the Apple refurb store or via resellers for a short time. You can also get them used in pretty good nick from enthusiasts who'll upgrade to a new machine when it's released without even thinking about it.

Andcan anyone answer this question...

If I order a Macbook Pro on the US apple store online with a student discount by entering a false university because they only list American colleges. And I get that delivered to my aunt in New York City, could I get her to bring it to me in Dublin alright? Ill make a huge discount if I use the student discount and purchase the machine on the US store it works out at 750 euro or so. Just should I get her to bring the Laptop and power lead only without the box in case of customs?

OR

Could I get her to go to the Apple store on Fifth avenue and buy it in my name so she can avail of the student discount?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

!MAVERICK! wrote: »
    Andcan anyone answer this question...

If I order a Macbook Pro on the US apple store online with a student discount by entering a false university because they only list American colleges. And I get that delivered to my aunt in New York City, could I get her to bring it to me in Dublin alright? Ill make a huge discount if I use the student discount and purchase the machine on the US store it works out at 750 euro or so. Just should I get her to bring the Laptop and power lead only without the box in case of customs?

OR

Could I get her to go to the Apple store on Fifth avenue and buy it in my name so she can avail of the student discount?

No one will give you advice on how to break the law. Also the US store will only accept US cards as far as I know.

No one will give you advice on how to break the law. Also the US store will only accept US cards as far as I know.

Tell me how purchasing something in the states and brining it back home exactly breaking the law? and no they dont, they will take any form of student identification even if you can show them your name on an institutions website they will accept it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ec18

Tell me how purchasing something in the states and brining it back home exactly breaking the law? and no they dont, they will take any form of student identification even if you can show them your name on an institutions website they will accept it.

he means that the apple online store in the us needs a us credit card and exact details of the course and that you are doing.....

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Read the forum charter about avoiding customs......

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭avalon68

I bought mine on campus here with the education discount - they required my staff ID and checked to see it was valid. Id imagine if you were purchasing online they would require a .edu email address at the very least, and maybe even ship to the campus store for pick up??....I doubt apple would be handing out discounts to every one without checking.

whiterebel wrote: »
    Read the forum charter about avoiding customs......

Alright ok, Ill just buy one on the .ie website with the 12 percent student travel card for 1020 yoyos. Would of been great if I could get it for 750 in the states though. I need it for the Leaving Cert this June anyway I have a waver for using word processors in exams.

Advertisement