Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When to Apply for Naturalisation

Options
  • 25-04-2011 8:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Does anyone know if it's possible to apply for naturalisation/citizenship before the 5 year residency requirement is completed? With the waiting period now over two years, can you apply earlier, and the time will be up when the Minister actually considers your application? Or will the application be rejected at the validation stage if the five years isn't yet up?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

It will be rejected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 inthewoods

I had someone tell me it worked for them at 4 years, and was curious if anyone else had similar experiences.

I was told not to do it as they would reject it straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

The application will be examined on receipt to see if you meet the five-year requirement. If not, it goes right back to you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

The only exceptions to the five year rule is

(a) if you were stateless and / or a declarared refugee

(b) married to an Irish citizen and living in Ireland with that irish citizen

both of the above, the requirement is 3 years.

THe op sounds as if citizenship is merely a name tag , a convenient immigration status, "collect 12 crisp tokens to get your prize"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

THe op sounds as if citizenship is merely a name tag , a convenient immigration status, "collect 12 crisp tokens to get your prize"

I'm struggling really hard to see how you came to that conclusion based on the two posts (asking very reasonable questions) from the OP, quoted below.

Is there a post I am missing somewhere?
    inthewoods wrote: »
    Does anyone know if it's possible to apply for naturalisation/citizenship before the 5 year residency requirement is completed? With the waiting period now over two years, can you apply earlier, and the time will be up when the Minister actually considers your application? Or will the application be rejected at the validation stage if the five years isn't yet up?
    inthewoods wrote: »
    I had someone tell me it worked for them at 4 years, and was curious if anyone else had similar experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 poppster

From the Inis.gov.ie website

"Residence is now calculated in days – you must have residency permission for the 365 days immediately prior to the date of application (366 days if permission encompasses 29th February) plus 1,460 days in the 8 years prior to that period (+1 day for any period encompassing 29th February)."

You need approx 5 years reckonable residence in the previous 8 years, and to be resident for one year prior to application.

They also state
    "Upon receipt, an initial examination of each application is carried out to determine if the statutory application is completed fully. Incomplete application forms are returned to the applicant for amendment. Valid applications are then examined to determine if the applicant meets the statutory residency criteria set out in the Irish Nationality and Citizenship Act, 1956, as amended."

They do a preliminary check when the application is received, so if you don't have your 5 years of reckonable residence, then the application will be rejected.

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/WP11000030#Q5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Jamie Mac

I have also been wondering about getting the timing right for an application. I was granted a 5 year residency in Ireland based on my marriage to an EU citizen, so this period will be up at the same time that I can start my application procedure. Surely this cant be unique to me, anyone have any idea what the process is? Thanks!

You need to renew your stamp 4 first. Then apply for naturalisation.

Thanks for your feedback, that's what I thought but unsure of how easy it is to renew the stamp 4 (I was sort of hoping there was a special extension provision for people applying for naturalisation)! Thanks :)

• Advertisement

Renewing stamp 4 is very easy. Just see your local immigration officer.

Thanks for the reassurance, guess Im just keen for everything to go smoothly!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 poppster

I've had to go to renew my Stamp 4 a couple of times, and it should be a straightforward process, especially since you're married to an EU citizen. I thought you could apply for naturalisation after 3 years or remaining married to an EU citizen.

Anyway, just be sure to take all your documentation with you when you go to the Garda Station to meet the Local Immigration Officer.

Good luck with it, although you shouldn't need it! ;-)

Delighted to hear that you've had no problems, feel better already! I'm not sure about the 3 years, maybe that's just if your spouse is Irish? Anyway its definitely 5 for me. Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

Jamie Mac wrote: »
    I'm not sure about the 3 years, maybe that's just if your spouse is Irish?

Yes, only if your spouse is Irish.

Thanks Danelion6, that's what I thought. Anyway, the 5 years flies by!

Advertisement