Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beginner MTB Questions

• 25-04-2011 8:12pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So i'm going to take up mountain biking soon, and wanted to ask a few questions.

1. What gear should i carry with me when cycling? As in, should i always have a spare tube/tire etc? And would i bring different stuff for when cycling off road?

2. From a maintenance point of view, assuming i'm using it a few times a week, how often would you recommend getting it serviced? And just how tough would these bikes be? It's just i've only had a hybrid for the last few years, and it always felt like it was going to break apart when cycling on some of the rougher roads on town.

3. Where are the best tracks in Dublin? I've heard 3 Rock and Ballinasloe are both good, but would i be able to do these as a beginner? And can you use these tracks whenever you want, or are there specific times/days that are open to the public? Also, anywhere else that i could get some good off-road practice?

As for the bike, I was thinking of getting the Cube XMS. I want a full suspension bike, and the few (very few) reviews that i can find say it's pretty good for an entry level full suspension mtb. It's €1250, and i just wanted to ask if anyone has tried it before?

Cube XMs - http://www.cube.eu/en/fullsuspension/comp-series/xms/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Kiith wrote: »
    So i'm going to take up mountain biking soon, and wanted to ask a few questions.

1. What gear should i carry with me when cycling? As in, should i always have a spare tube/tire etc? And would i bring different stuff for when cycling off road?

2. From a maintenance point of view, assuming i'm using it a few times a week, how often would you recommend getting it serviced? And just how tough would these bikes be? It's just i've only had a hybrid for the last few years, and it always felt like it was going to break apart when cycling on some of the rougher roads on town.

3. Where are the best tracks in Dublin? I've heard 3 Rock and Ballinasloe are both good, but would i be able to do these as a beginner? And can you use these tracks whenever you want, or are there specific times/days that are open to the public? Also, anywhere else that i could get some good off-road practice?

As for the bike, I was thinking of getting the Cube XMS. I want a full suspension bike, and the few (very few) reviews that i can find say it's pretty good for an entry level full suspension mtb. It's €1250, and i just wanted to ask if anyone has tried it before?

Cube XMs - http://www.cube.eu/en/fullsuspension/comp-series/xms/

1. you should have a backpack with a water bladder in it like this, in that backpack you should have a small pump, two tubes, spare chainlinks, a decent multi-tool, maybe some electrical tape and some sort of first aid kit.
    Other equipment you would need would be a helmet, padded shorts, gloves and maybe some knee pads.

2. MTB's are pretty though things and i only get mine looked at when i know something isnt right with it (you will get a feel for these things the more you ride it), you should teach yourself how to do basic bike maintenance as bikes will need to be tuned and maintained fairly frequently and you dont want to be running to a lbs just to get your derailleur sorted every-time it starts skipping

3. im not from dublin so i cant help you out there, what i would suggest is to join up with a club like madmtb and they will help you out with everything you need to know about mtb's

As for what bike you should be looking at, i wouldnt really go about buying a full susser unless you have about 2k to spend as you will end up with shoddy components, id either buy a second hand full suspension bike (bring someone who knows their stuff to look at it before you buy it though), or a brand new hard tail

hope this helped some-bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭davey101

I would echo what Icyseanfitz has said, for the most part anyway. there are essentials you need when mountian biking,
    Helmet
    cycle clothing
    tubes, pump, mulitool
    these will get you a long way. As far as getting your bike serviced, i would recommend using internet and the likes of http://bicycletutor.com/ first, and get yourself some tools like http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=40997 i say this because you will need to adjust derailuers and brakes and spokes as time goes on and as mentioned you dont want to be waiting on your lbs to do it all the time. But you could always leave it in every few months to get it the once over. you will become more efficient with repairs once you have the tools and as time goes on, but it can be quite frustrating at first.
    As far as the bike you have linked to, it seems to ,me to be a fine piece of kit for such a price. Out of interest where did you get that price, i didnt see one on that link. However there are some drawbacks to a fullsuss as your first bike, A hardtail will teach you alot quicker about lines and how a bike feels on a trail, a full suss will lack this. A usual comment you will come across on forums is to start on a hardtail, they are cheaper, less maintenance and lighter, well within that price range anyway. On that note i happened to be in eurocycles last week and saw some chap buying a cracking focus hardtail cant remember the model but he was getting a great deal on it.
    Trails in dublin, threerock and balinastoe are open to the public all the time and suitable to all levels, as for other trails you will have to join a club to find them as they are not official and people work hard to build and maintain them. But there are loads of places within the dublin mountains that are rideable, just be respectfull to the walkers you may meet.
    All the best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Whitehawk

Im just going to add to this point as i just spent last 3-4 weeks looking at a cube full sus. If you looking at the XMS id lookat AMS comp its an 300-400e but worth it better front shocks - lighter bike(aprox 1kg), Over all just better parts, Ur right to look at cube :D, just look at getting something thats a few more euros as it will be well worth the saving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

yeah the fork and rear shock on that bike look pretty bad to me (might be completely wrong but at that price i believe thats what they skimped on as the chainset seems to be pretty good on the bike, dont know about the brakes as ive never used shimano hydraulic brakes)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Thanks for the info and the links folks. Will probably pick up the backpack and tools at some stage. Anywhere in town (Dublin) that is good for stuff like that? Also, more info/questions...

Regarding the bike, when i was in the shop i was asking about the next step up from the XMS, the Cube AMS Comp (http://www.cube.eu/en/fullsuspension/comp-series/ams-comp-blue-white/), and he said that while there was a bit of a difference, that it wasnt a massive step up (for an extra €300). He also said that if i do decide to get into it seriously, i'd be looking at a bike over 2k in the next 1-2 years, so the XMS would be a perfect starter. Seemed like he knew his stuff, and the fact that a salesman was recommending a cheaper bike was new to me :)
    davey101 wrote: »
    As far as the bike you have linked to, it seems to ,me to be a fine piece of kit for such a price. Out of interest where did you get that price, i didnt see one on that link.
    The price was from buildabike.ie, who have a shop on Capel Street. I'm getting it with the Bike 2 Work scheme, so i get 10% of the listed price with these guys. Think it was €1350 of thereabouts, but i can't remember exactly. I only need to pay €250 up front though, so it's pretty sweet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭davey101

Seemed like he knew his stuff, and the fact that a salesman was recommending a cheaper bike was new to me :)

he is a salesman he will know his stuff, Or make you think he knows his stuff. And he Probably pushed the lower one because they cant shift it. But i could be wrong. Personally i think a hardtail would be money better spent, because as you were told if you get into it you will eventually upgrade, and by then you will know what you want.
    There are loads of bikeshops in town that will stock what you want in terms of tools and tubes, see if you can get them when your buying your bike as it will work out cheaper that way.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Wow, i really wasn't ready for just how different cycling a good mountain bike was compared to my crappy hybrid. Lasted about 5 minutes before going over the handlebars and wrecking myself. I hadn't even gotten to the park :o 1 sprained wrist, lots of bandages and a ton of painkillers later, i'm laughing.

So note to self, slow down :pac:

Advertisement