Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2011 Cooking Club Week 16: Simple Chocolate Fondants

Options
  • 25-04-2011 6:21pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This is a great dessert for a dinner party. They can be prepared, put in the ramekins and left in the fridge overnight so you're not caught making a complex desert while you're guests are unattended. They take about 12 minutes in the oven. Best to cook an extra one of you're cooking for a group incase they're under-done when you turn them out, you can discard the first and put them back in for a couple of minutes more.

The ramekins/moulds can be got in heatons or woodies for 1 or 2 euro each. Any excess mixture can be put into moulds or left in the container and refridgerated or frozen. This recipe makes 8 or 10 depending on the size of the mould.

Ingredients

Butter, for rubbing around the ramekins
    Cocoa powder , for dusting
    200g good-quality dark chocolate (at least 70% cocoa) broke into small pieces
    200g butter, again small pieces
    200g caster sugar
    4 eggs and 4 yolks
    200g plain flour

Method

1. Heavily rub the butter all over the inside of the mould. Add a good spoonful of cocoa powder in. Tip the mould so the powder completely coats the butter and rotate. Tap any excess cocoa into the next mould and repeat.

DSC_3177_2.jpg

2. Place a bowl over a pan of barely simmering water, then slowly melt the chocolate and butter together. Remove bowl from the heat and stir until smooth.

DSC_3173.jpg

3. In a separate bowl whisk the eggs and yolks together with the sugar until thick and pale and the whisk leaves a figure 8 trail. The more volume, the more air you've gotten in and the better the end result.

DSC_3171.jpg

4. Sift the flour into the eggs, then fold in gently.

5. Pour the melted chocolate into the egg mixture and fold in until all the chocolate is added and the mixture is completely combined.

DSC_3175.jpg

6. Evenly divide between the moulds leaving some room for them to rise. Chill for about 20 mins before baking.

DSC_3178.jpg

7. Heat oven to 200C. Place the fondants on a baking tray, then cook for 12-14 mins (depending on the size of the mould) until the tops have formed a crust and they are starting to come away from the sides of their moulds. Remove from the oven and serve immediately, they'll continue to cook when out and you want the guuey centre so be relatively quick. My one in the photo is slightly over as I was faffing around with the camera.

8. Loosen the fondants by running a knife around the side. Tip each fondant gently upside-down onto a plate and dust lightly with cocoa. Serve with ice-cream, cream or whatever you fancy. No fruit coulis though. Ever!

DSC_3219.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

That's odd myself and the girlfriend were just wondering what the new recipe would be and this appeared. Had them yesterday, they were really lovely.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Oh, AWESOME. I cannot wait to try these :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

look delish!

Have you been in my kitchen again Mr Magnolia?....we have them ramekins too

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

lol, handy for you Des. Think I picked them up in heatons last year...

They're tastey alright.

we're making these now!!:D

halving the recipe, because there's only two of us, pics to follow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Yum! Will be trying these in the near future. Thanks!

Here they are, gone now, delicious. Thanks Mr M

DSCN4038.jpg?t=1303760334

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

we had these again today, i think i am in love - they are flipping gorgeous :o

Sweet. It's a slippery slope!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

There should have been a Cooking Club box on the religion part of the census form. With a number of recipes involving dark chocolate we're all being rather sinful. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

These look fantastic! Can't wait to try. Gotta get some ramekins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

Just had these now, Mr M. They were lovely and chocolatish! :D

I didn't have any fancy stuff, not even this coulis stuff that you think so highly of, so they were served up as is. :pac:

picture.php?albumid=1409&pictureid=9408

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

^^ That + ice cream = Heaven :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

this one im definitely going to make :pac:
    nice recipe mr magnolia

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Scrumptious recipe. Made them last night and they were beautiful. Only made half the quantity in the OP's recipe and it made 5.So that was two last night, another two tonight, and another one tomorrow! :D

I love the way you can make them the night before, ideal if you're having a dinner party!

dsc0062gg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

Looks great, BaZmO*. Well done!

We halved all the quantities and ended up with three ramekins and had the third one yesterday. The third one was gooier because it got one minute or so less in the oven: the line between that and overdone really is that fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Thanks OP, made these yesterday. They were really good!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭pinkieschick

these look wonderful cant wait to try them:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Bought some new ramekins for this and a kenwood chef mixer while I was at it. Cooking club is costing me a fortune!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

They look amazing, thanks OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭reera82

Hi. I am just going to ask a very basic question - is that four eggs altogether or 4 eggs and 4 egg yolks? (therefore using 8 eggs altogether). Thanks.:)

reera82 wrote: »
    Hi. I am just going to ask a very basic question - is that four eggs altogether or 4 eggs and 4 egg yolks? (therefore using 8 eggs altogether). Thanks.:)
    I had to do a double take when reading it first too! :)

I went with the 4 full eggs and also the yolks of 4 eggs.....so 8 in total

Yes, 8 eggs total.

make meringues out of the spare whites :)

Probably a stupid question, but how do you know if one is under-done?

Faith wrote: »
    Probably a stupid question, but how do you know if one is under-done?

It's about 12-14 minutes. When they rise keep an eye on them you're only a couple of minutes away at this stage. You'll notice the top starting to darken, once this happens they're done. Best to put a spare one in though, if you tip it out upside-down and it runs all over the plate you can put the rest back in for another minute or two.

Thanks Mr. M! Made these last night. I was so paranoid of undercooking or overcooking them! I timed them to cook for 12 minutes at 200C in a fan oven. I did faff around a bit taking them out of the molds, and they ended up being slightly overcooked. They tasted lovely, but I was disappointed that the inside wasn't gooey-er. I do have a spare one in the fridge so I'll try that one later on and hope I get it right this time :).

The recipe was great though, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭reera82

Thanks to BaZmO and Mr. Magnolia. I made these this evening and they were pure scoff. I only made two. Does anyone know how long the mix will hold?

I made 5 and they lasted 3 days. 2 the first day, 2 the next and 1 on the final day, which makes them great for a dinner party.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭aquascrotum

The gf made these for us last week. Superb! Two nights in a row was a bit much for the beltline though.

Advertisement