Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Customs

Options
  • 24-04-2011 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

hi guys,
    basically i recently got bk from the states Maryland to be exact and on my way to the airport in a rush i forgot my backpack in my aunts car. my laptop was in the car and i thought i would be going back soon but thats not happening anymore so i am thinking of asking my aunty to post it. will the laptop be vat and taxed and all that even though it was originally bought here? i have my receipt and stuff from purchase. what should she fill in the customs form?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

hi guys,
    basically i recently got bk from the states Maryland to be exact and on my way to the airport in a rush i forgot my backpack in my aunts car. my laptop was in the car and i thought i would be going back soon but thats not happening anymore so i am thinking of asking my aunty to post it. will the laptop be vat and taxed and all that even though it was originally bought here? i have my receipt and stuff from purchase. what should she fill in the customs form?

This happened me and mods please don't take this as me advising too avoid charges as I always get stuff delivered and pay all taxes and charges.

But Op what you need to do is go through a proper courier (UPS or DHL etc etc) and then put in the description box "second hand laptop and purchased in the EU" and put a photocopy of the receipt in the box with the laptop with a quick note explaining why its being delivered. This worked for me came straight through customs and there was evidence they opened the box to make sure. The proof of purchase is the key though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Xx-Mascara-xX

This happened me and mods please don't take this as me advising too avoid charges as I always get stuff delivered and pay all taxes and charges.

But Op what you need to do is go through a proper courier (UPS or DHL etc etc) and then put in the description box "second hand laptop and purchased in the EU" and put a photocopy of the receipt in the box with the laptop with a quick note explaining why its being delivered. This worked for me came straight through customs and there was evidence they opened the box to make sure. The proof of purchase is the key though.

what about USPS?? nd i only got it in jan, its still pretty new as i only used it in feb. do i need flight comfirmation and stuff??? or just my proof of purchase?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

what about USPS?? nd i only got it in jan, its still pretty new as i only used it in feb. do i need flight comfirmation and stuff??? or just my proof of purchase?

If you go with USPS make sure its with the Fastest and most trackible service they provide can't remember off hand what they call it. All you need is Proof of Purchase. The Proof of purchase shows it was bought in the EU and shows its exempt from Duty and VAT.

Edit: Global Express Guaranteed its called still cheaper than UPS and DHL etc etc but its the best way with USPS to send something without it getting thrown around the place. The cheaper methods it goes in with regular boxes and mail and will get bounced around a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Xx-Mascara-xX

If you go with USPS make sure its with the Fastest and most trackible service they provide can't remember off hand what they call it. All you need is Proof of Purchase. The Proof of purchase shows it was bought in the EU and shows its exempt from Duty and VAT.

Edit: Global Express Guaranteed its called still cheaper than UPS and DHL etc etc but its the best way with USPS to send something without it getting thrown around the place. The cheaper methods it goes in with regular boxes and mail and will get bounced around a lot more.

Thanks!!! I looked it up and this shipping costs 134dollers!! That's quit pricey don't you think? There is a slightly slower method 3-5daya express mail international and that cost half the price... What do you think??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

This is the third time you've posted this same question on this forum, which is considered spamming. Do not post it a fourth time. Stick to one post and one forum only.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement