Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FG 1.008ish-Will my bottles explode

Options
  • 24-04-2011 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

Just bottled a Coopers heritage lager kit last night with an FG of 1.008(OG was 1.042). I had left it for a full 2 weeks fermenting. There was plenty of airlock activity for the 1st week and then it died off to nothing and there has been absolutely no activity for nearly a week now. Because of this and the time fermenting I was 100% sure it was ready to bottle. I bulk primed with a bag of coopers carbonation drops in 450ml of water. My FG was in the red on the hydrometer. Are my bottles likely to explode? or could this FG be perfectly OK? Should I be considering openign the bottles after a few days to release some gas and avoid explosions?
    Temp was 18.5 to 22 deg for the full fermentation period.
    Thanks

L

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭mayto

Your beer should be ready for bottling at 1008, surprised it got that low tbh. Did you use sugar or spraymalt with the coopers kit?. A lot of my all grain beers finish at about 1012 when mashing at about 67C. I think a lot of my kit beers which were all malt used to finish at about 1012 region too. Now wait a few weeks for that hiss when you open a bottle :D

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Lars

mayto wrote: »
    Your beer should be ready for bottling at 1008, surprised it got that low tbh.
    To be honest it might have been 1.010 . I was kind of in denial because I thought I'd screwed up the kit after all my hard work and I had had quite a few of the last batch on bottling night + a few Tyskies. I still hope I didnt ruin it because my hand came in contact with the beer more than once, although they also came in contact with a lot of the sanitiser. It actually tasted great even on bottling day. I was pleasantly surprised
    mayto wrote: »
    Did you use sugar or spraymalt with the coopers kit?.
    I just used the kit contents:
    Premium Selection Heritage Lager 1.7 Kg
    and
    Coopers Light Malt Extract Light 1.5 Kg
    Its a 3.2kg kit.

Thanks for the reassurance

L

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Mashtun

Lars wrote: »
    I bulk primed with a bag of coopers carbonation drops in 450ml of water.

L

Why did you bulk prime with carbonation drops? I thought the whole idea with them was to drop in one per bottle for convenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Lars

I had a variety of bottle sizes most of which were 500ml and the carbonation drops are supposed to be 1 for 330ml or 2 for 750ml. l

Advertisement