Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly fishing Sligo?

Options
  • 24-04-2011 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Can anyone recommend anywhere to go fly fishing around Sligo? Have to go down for a couple if days and will have a few hours to kill on tuesday. I'l be in Sligo town but can travel within reason.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I'm very biased here but if you have the time Lough Talt is a gem. Its about 35 minutes from Sligo town, go to Tubbercurry and then turn for Ballina. It was fishing well with a size 16 duck fly last weekend. The trout are small but plentiful and the scenery is breathtaking. PM me if you want to know the best spots :)

Apart from Talt there's any amount of good fishing near the town. Lough Gill is virtually in town and has trout and salmon. Lough Arrow is about 20 minutes away and is one of the finest lakes in the country for trout. There's also Glencar Lake and Lough Melvin is about 25 minutes away.

Then there's Salmon fishing on the Ballisodare river 10 minutes from town, the Drumcliff river 15 minutes, Grange river 20 mnutes, the Drowse is 25 minutes, the Easky river about 25 minutes and you're 40 minutes from the Moy in Ballina.

TBH there's any amount of fishing near Sligo. The hardest thing will be deciding where to go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Cheers for the reply.

Your dead right about being spoiled for choice. I was thinking about lough arrow alright, but then again, I wouldnt mind a bit of salmon fishing. Decisions decisions, but to be honest, less hastle re: permits and so on to fish for the trout so perhaps that it will be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Daroxtar wrote: »
    I'm very biased here but if you have the time Lough Talt is a gem. Its about 35 minutes from Sligo town, go to Tubbercurry and then turn for Ballina. It was fishing well with a size 16 duck fly last weekend. The trout are small but plentiful and the scenery is breathtaking. PM me if you want to know the best spots :)

Apart from Talt there's any amount of good fishing near the town. Lough Gill is virtually in town and has trout and salmon. Lough Arrow is about 20 minutes away and is one of the finest lakes in the country for trout. There's also Glencar Lake and Lough Melvin is about 25 minutes away.

Then there's Salmon fishing on the Ballisodare river 10 minutes from town, the Drumcliff river 15 minutes, Grange river 20 mnutes, the Drowse is 25 minutes, the Easky river about 25 minutes and you're 40 minutes from the Moy in Ballina.

TBH there's any amount of fishing near Sligo. The hardest thing will be deciding where to go :)

Have you ever got char in lough talt?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Ya, caught them when i was younger and didnt know what they were, just thought they were wierd looking trout :D . Its been a while since I last caught any but they were on a Hares ear or Gammarus IIRC and I've had them on buzzers fished way down deep. Never had any on spinner or worm for some reason, I think they dont feed on anything bigger than a fly. They've nearly all come from the mountain side of the lake where its really deep close to the shoreline.

1tv3tj.jpg
    Last weekend :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Looks all lovely and deep and glacial, fair play on getting a char on a fly. Is there a lake in sligo that has naturally reproducing rainbows?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭rpmcmurphy

There was once but alas no more im afraid. It still has rainbows although they are all stocked by the local angling club. It is called Lough Na Leibe and is a wee gem of a lake nestled between the bricklieve mountains halfway between ballymote and castlebaldwin. I have been a member of that club for a few seasons now and have enjoyed good sport from the float tube. Boats are not allowed. It can be dangerous for wading with sharp drop offs so be careful. I'd say it is a little over half an hour from sligo town and you pass through castlebaldwin on the n4 on the way to arrow. Membership is 40euro per year or 15 per day as far as i know. It was once one of the few lakes in this country that held a self sustaining population of rainbow trout apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭yank_in_eire

There's savage shore fishing for pollack and mullet on the fly all along the coast around Easky.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭rpmcmurphy

Also if near lough arrow lough bo might be worth a go although i havent fished this lake in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Went out to lough arrow for a few hours. Was fishing from the shore never really stood a chance It's very much a boat water. I did see a couple of fish jumping out. Man alive they were big. Easily 4lbs if not more

Advertisement