Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

form being filled by an unknown

Options
  • 24-04-2011 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

I have a form on a website that i am building, and I am using cgi email. for the past few weeks since the page has been uploaded there is something filling in the form and putting in the number 1 so when i get the filled in form sent in email containing the visitors email I get "email? 1" This can happen about 3 times a day so it is quite annoying.

note that I do have a javascript validation on it already.

any suggestions that would stop this, I could put in a captcha but feel this would take from the style of the site.

on a side maybe some suggestions/links to help switch this to a database more so than getting an email.

please any help much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,239 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

JavaScript validation won't make a difference to spambots. I hate captcha so what I'd recommend is to use a hidden form field that the user can't see. A spam bot won't know that it shouldn't be filled in, so will enter something in it. You can then discard all messages where that form field has been populated. Not too sure if you can use input type=hidden or if it's better to use CSS though.

Advertisement