Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are young calves always tested in Herd test

Options
  • 24-04-2011 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭

I had a herd test lately and had 7 young calves (under 2 weeks but were tagged).

I was working so a neighbour was there for the test. He said the vet didn't test them and I was there for the reading and he definitely didn't read the calves.

.................but he charged for testing them. I know it's only an extra €30 but my vet is not flavour of the month with me lately so wondering if I should have to pay this when I don't think he actually tested them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

you do not have to test calves under 42 days old if you wish,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭what happen

Dunedin wrote: »
    I had a herd test lately and had 7 young calves (under 2 weeks but were tagged).

I was working so a neighbour was there for the test. He said the vet didn't test them and I was there for the reading and he definitely didn't read the calves.

.................but he charged for testing them. I know it's only an extra €30 but my vet is not flavour of the month with me lately so wondering if I should have to pay this when I don't think he actually tested them.
    my vet never tests my calves but he charged for testing them too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Don't pay for work that wasn't done. Make very sure with your neighbour first. I'd think about changing vets.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Do you plan on selling them before your next herd test? If they are not tested now then you will need a private test to sell them. How much will that cost you? A penny now saves a pound later.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭huey1975

snowman707 wrote: »
    you do not have to test calves under 42 days old if you wish,
    You only have to test the calves under 42 days if they have been bought in. Home bred calves do not have to be tested if they are under 42 days but it may prevent a private test later in the year if they are being sold as weanlings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

out of interest did he stamp their cards ?

whelan1 wrote: »
    out of interest did he stamp their cards ?
    well the vet did in my case.

Dunedin wrote: »

i would settle my bill , minus the 30 euro and move to another vet

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Pharaoh1

On a sort of related issue I would like to buy a bull weanling from a neighbour about 8 months old but the animal was never tested. ie he wasn't born at the time of his herd test last year.
    Does he have to be tested by the seller before sale? I'm presuming he does.

I will be herd testing in the next couple of weeks and could include him but am I right in saying this is not allowed?

yes once animal is over 42 days, so he has to test it

• Advertisement

Pharaoh1 wrote: »
    On a sort of related issue I would like to buy a bull weanling from a neighbour about 8 months old but the animal was never tested. ie he wasn't born at the time of his herd test last year.
    Does he have to be tested by the seller before sale? I'm presuming he does.

I will be herd testing in the next couple of weeks and could include him but am I right in saying this is not allowed?
    yes it is allowed but your vet will have to get the go ahead from the sellers vet before hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

yes it is allowed but your vet will have to get the go ahead from the sellers vet before hand.

Would he not be in trouble with DVO for moving a non tested animal from another herd? Just curious as would never buy a calf/weanling until he had a stamp on the card

Bodacious wrote: »
    Would he not be in trouble with DVO for moving a non tested animal from another herd? Just curious as would never buy a calf/weanling until he had a stamp on the card
    you could not buy it until it passed the test and stamp on card and had movement permit. my vet did it before with no problems.

Bodacious wrote: »
    same here... asking for trouble imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

if you are selling the cattle before next test then whats wrong card will be stamped hes doing you a favour.if not and he is not in your good books then he should not have charged you and he should have not tested your cattle in the first place,my fathers saying from years ago keep the vet and milk lorry driver on your side they can help you when you are in trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

leg wax wrote: »
    if you are selling the cattle before next test then whats wrong card will be stamped hes doing you a favour.if not and he is not in your good books then he should not have charged you and he should have not tested your cattle in the first place,my fathers saying from years ago keep the vet and milk lorry driver on your side they can help you when you are in trouble.

Exactly. Good vet, is worth his / her weight in gold. If a mistake on an invoice, sort it amicably, or if it's small, forget about it.
    The vet that zooms out to you at 3am, for a calving is worg anything.

I'm always amazed, at the farmers who think nothing about giving their annual test business to the "cheapest" vet on the block, but ring the "good" vets for the 3am calving:P

Advertisement