Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips for seperating a mare & foal

Options
  • 24-04-2011 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Hello all.........I am looking for some tips - I am seperating a mother and foal today, foal 6 months old, I am going to go cold turkey on it and completely remove the mare from the scene........will the foal go crazy on me, should I keep her in tonight?.........mother and foal are out all the time with some cattle - its not the mares first foal so I think she should be fine with the seperation but am worred about the foal.

Sooty

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭s-cogan

way we do it is to leave the mare out in the field, and the foal in the stable, just for short periods at first, the longer, and eventually the mare isnt brought back. then let the foal out with other young horses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

The foal will be best with company of a similar age. I would keep the foal in the stable with the top door closed. The foal will be anxious it may be best to see if you can borrow an older horse/pony that likes to play aunty/uncle.

Don't leave the foal in the field when you are taking away mum as the foal will get into a tizzy and hurt itself. The HHO online forum has a brilliant breeding section on it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

If you have two stables beside each other, then you can put the mare and foal beside each other and they can get used to being separated without being 'separated'. Having a pony around to give the foal company during the weaning process.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭sooty1

Thanks everyone for your replies - it wasn't an option for me to put them in stables side by side so had to remove mother completely, foal has been in slatted shed since Sunday - going to let her out this eve - she has some cattle for company - no other ponies - hopefully she will be ok.........mother doing very well where she has been removed to......she is with other horses.

Sooty

Advertisement