Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Pinhole Photography Day - 24-04-2011

Options
  • 24-04-2011 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭

I hope those of you who are interested in pinhole managed to get out this morning while the light was good?

Shot about 10 5x4 images and will see if I get some time tonight to process them.

I was using Fomapan 100 or 'Foreverpan' as I call it, owing to the very bad reciprocity effect when this film requires long exposures.

I hope that people will post up some work here over the next few days.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

i made two little 35mm cameras, a simple matchbox one loaded with lucky 100 b+w and one from a printable PDF from a book loaded with expired kodak 200. will try and develop the b+w later tonight and the colour during the week.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

hadn't heard about this. am expecting two rolls of pinhole stuff back from gunns on tuesday, so i could cheat and pretend they were from today.

odd that two global initiatives - the 4am project and this - were held on the same day.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,092 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

didn't realise it was that time of year again

this was one I did last year
    3DF8F0623074450F89E4C742BB27E9D8-800.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭A.Partridge

didn't realise it was that time of year again

this was one I did last year
    3DF8F0623074450F89E4C742BB27E9D8-800.jpg

Fair play to you Ghost Train. That's a good image and a very interesting viewpoint.

Couple of questions:

Did you make the camera yourself and if so how was it constructed?

Did you place the camera on the ground or did you have it on a mini tripod?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,092 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Fair play to you Gost Train. That's a good image and a very interesting viewpoint.

Couple of questions:

Did you make the camera yourself and if so how was it constructed?

Did you place the camera on the ground or did you have it on a mini tripod?

Thanks. Yes made it from a matchbox inline with these instructions http://www.matchboxpinhole.com/ didn't use a square frame, used more like a 34mmx24mm cut out

It's just places on the ground, resting against step

• Advertisement

Thanks for that link, Ghost Train.

Here is a link to the WPPD website:

http://www.pinholeday.org/gallery/2011/index.php?page=9

You can select images from any of the individual countries from the menu on the left.

Obviously as the hours and days go by the number of images posted will increase.

Note: DIGITALLY PRODUCED PINHOLES ARE ALSO ACCEPTED so, it is something which most people should be able to try.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Note: DIGITALLY PRODUCED PINHOLES ARE ALSO ACCEPTED so, it is something which most people ahould be able to try.

Tinfoil and a pin at it's most basic or a spare body cap and a piece of a soft drink can if you want to be posh.

Must try it actually.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I was using Fomapan 100 or 'Foreverpan' as I call it, owing to the very bad reciprocity effect when this film requires long exposures.
    i tried fomapan 400 in the camera, and just got it back - in 6x12 format, it seems to show much more falloff towards the end of the frame than the previous rolls i'd used. which would tie in with your experiences.

this is one of the less pronounced vignettes:

26042011_026.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

What camera are you shooting on magic b?

• Advertisement

Nice looking camera. What causes the stepped horizontal lines?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭lalee17

Never heard of this before.. I'm going to try it today though! :D (Procrastinating from studying) ;)

Effects wrote: »
    Nice looking camera. What causes the stepped horizontal lines?
    i'm still using a demo of silverfast scanning software; it inserts those until you stump up your cash.

ahh ok, thought it looked weird alright. I think a previous version I trialled put dollar signs all over the image. I have silverfast se that came bundled with my scanner but didn't like it too much. I'm waiting to get Vuescan, maybe when I sell some stuff to pay for it.

i prefer silverfast to vuescan; i don't seem to be able to get the same results out of vuescan. have only played with it very superficially though.

That said, I just ran a superficial scan and compared it to the epson software and the epson had better colour and sharpness. Hmmmm

Here are a few images I took on World Pinhole Photography Day.

I need to pick one of them to post up on the WPPD website...

[IMG][/img]5688010779_ed39241413_z.jpg

[IMG][/img]5688580886_85c10dd588_z.jpg

[IMG][/img]5688011155_e523ff0f43_z.jpg

and finally,

[IMG][/img]5688011019_07082e993f_z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

nice work.

what did you shoot with?

Matchbox, Custom Built, DSLR with modified lens cap, purchased pinhole camera?

Thanks.

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    nice work.

what did you shoot with?

Matchbox, Custom Built, DSLR with modified lens cap, purchased pinhole camera?

Thanks.

Thanks ACD.

Oh yeah, I made a 5x4 pinhole camera from a sawn-off IKEA wooden planter to which I fitted an old Cambo Graflok bail back that can take 5x4 film holders or roll film holders. For the pinhole I used a 0.3mm hole punched in a brass sheet which was then inserted into a circular escutcheon of the type used in modern office doors. I also attached a drawer handle, some tripod mounts and a fisheye viewer from a Holga which approximates to the 120 degree angle of view which this 45mm 5x4 set up provides.

I then painted it black. I used Fomapan 100 film and exposures were between 10 - 36 seconds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭thefizz

Great shots A.Partridge.

pinhole1.jpg

Hey magicb...nice use of the elongated vertical from that Noon pinhole camera.

It provides very good results in your hands.

Well done.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Cakes.

I want to make a pinhole camera but I don't know much about film. Does film have frames as such already there or are they made when you expose the film ?

they're made when you expose the film. you can use a DSLR too...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Cakes.

I want to try film though.

Does the film have to be processed differently ?

nope. the main issue is exposure; you need a tripod and to bracket a bit. if you assume an aperture of f200 or so, take a metering with a lens at f22, and multiply it by 100. and then some more to account for reciprocity failure.

e.g. if f22 would give you 1/30th of a sec, your nominal exposure would be around 3s. multiply this by at least two.

or else just muck around and have some fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭thefizz

Gunns have wooden pinhole camera kits which you make up yourself and they include the chemicals and paper. Not expensive as far as I can remember but I haven't used one so not sure how good they are.

pinhole1.jpg

• Advertisement

pinhole1.jpg

Nice use of the 6x12 vertical panorama !

:)

Advertisement