Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yeast question re mead

Options
  • 24-04-2011 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭

I started off three meads just over a month ago, and instead of the reccommeded bread yeast, I used champagne yeast. These meads are supposed to take a couple of months to ferment out, and are supposed to be sweet, but they've finished early and dry (and clear). As I understand it, champagne yeast will have died at a higher alcohol level than bread yeast would have, and more alcohol = less sugar, right?

The question is - would this account for the faster fermentation time? Is it likely that these are ready to bottle now? They (in particular the elderflower one) taste rather good already, and I'm quite keen to give them a bit of a workout! Planning on keeping a few bottles to age, but I'd really like to free up the demi-johns for other projects.

Your thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Im new to this stuff, so dont take what i say as complete fact

yes the higher the alcohol the more sugar consumed, but theres such things as unfermentable sugars that can provide a sweet taste but cant be used in fermentation to make alcohol, I don't know much about these, but if your making a mead thats high abv and sweet Id imagine your recipe could use these sugars.
    The champagne yeast is probably much better for fermentation then bread yeast so it would ferment faster (I think)
    Best bet is get your hydrometer out and take a reading a day for 3 days, no change = finished fermentation (I know that part is true)

I hope thats not all completely wrong and was some help

Advertisement