Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendation - Blu ray home cinema system

Options
  • 24-04-2011 12:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone can point me at a good site for Blu Ray home cinema system reviews?

I'm purchasing an Epson 8350 projector (ceiling mount) and I want to drive it with a blu-ray player. Player should also support/include small wall mount speakers.

Player should also be DLNA compatible, as I have wired lan in the house, and have at least two HDMI INPUTS (Sat decoder and/or mpeg decoder for Irish stations)

I'm not looking for an expensive system - just versatile - these things are evolving so fast that no matter what I get now will be obsolete in a few years) The room is 4m x 7m so I guess I need reasonable power (as I saw 400w advertised as for small room)

Any advice most welcome

Thanks
    Michael

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Mikethenovice

No Advice was received so I went ahead and purchased....
    I purchased a Samsung HT-D5500 3d blu-ray home cinema sys for around €500.

This has 2 hdmi inputs (for sat box and dtt (SaorView) decoder)

One Hdmi output for the projector

One Ethernet port for the network. System is DLNA compliant so I can steam video + music from network server

5.1 sound

A Ipod/iphone charging doc that lets you stream music to the system speakers

and an FM radio.

I'm Happy with the complete setup so far but the wife thinks I'm mad (although she watched the Eurovision on the projector last week.....)

FYI: for the projector you need HD content (especially if you have a 10 foot picture). So BBC + ITV HD channels (satellite) a must. RTE on DTT (Saorview) broadcasts some stuff in HD so thats not bad either but RTE 1 is a rubbish signal.... System upscales all the DLNA streamed video so it looks great...

Michael

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

Post up some pictures of your set-up, screen, etc., they are always welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Hi,
    The Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 8350 Projector looks ok in reviews...
    I think i might go for one myself and scrap the plasma plan for good !

Post some pictures or feedback !

Also,where did u get yours ?
    Thanks.

Hello Rolion,

I'm no expert on projectors. This is the first one I have owned but I'm very impressed with the quality I'm getting.

I'm projecting directly onto the wall (painted off white). The picture is about 3metres wide! Huge and still looks great with HD content...

Projector bulb is bright (in Dynamic or living room mode)... I watched the Spainish Drand Prix last Sunday during the day (1pm-3pm on BBC One HD) with just some cream see-through roller blinds on the windows in the south facing room (sun shining on windows) (new house no curtains in this room yet) and the picture was great.... Not as bright as a good LCD but not too far behind...

So I'm happy...

What pictures do you want? Will I take a picture of the projected image on the wall to show you the quality?

The projector can be purchased on line from a couple of USA retailers. One will charge you all relevant duties and deliver it to you by courier.

Mine was purchased in the US.

regards
    Michael

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Thanks.
    I have a an Epson 720p and im wondering if i upgrade to 1080 will it make any difference !?
    Are you happy with the quality ?

• Advertisement

A friend has a 720P projector (Panasonic) and the Picture I get is definetly better..... BUT I have not done a side by side comparison using the same source image with the same lighting conditions - so a completley unscientific subjective comment....

I can say that I can see the difference between 1080 content and none 1080 content...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

What pictures do you want? Will I take a picture of the projected image on the wall to show you the quality?

Any :).......your room, layout, setup, projected images, day, night, etc...

Advertisement