Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ID Please: Raptor(No Photo)

Options
  • 24-04-2011 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭

Watched a Raptor over the Boyne on the west side of Drogheda yesterday and I've no idea what it was. Unfortunately no photo.

The bird was larger than a Kestrel but not as big as a Buzzard.

It had pointed wing tips (no 'fingers') and the centre of it's wings were quite angled back with a straight narrow tail. Similar to the 3rd image here.

It did not hover. It was flying is circles similar to a buzzard but much quicker circles, then it would do some very rapid wing beats to climb a bit. It would do this a few times and then it would glide straight for a bit (Extremely fast!) and do the same again. At one stage it was so high you could barely see it with the naked eye.

I did get a glimpse of it's back and it was speckled brown with the last quarter of the wing much darker, almost black. I didn't really get to see the colour of the belly as it was more a silhouette.

Any idea?

PS: I saw Newgrange Falconry do a display last week and their Lanner Falcon decided to go on a bit of a sightseeing trip for 30 mins over Co. Meath. The guy told me he often just releases it at home and it comes back when it wants. I know there was a falconry display on by Falconry Ireland in the Battle of the Boyne Centre yesterday (1 mile away) so maybe they were letting a bird have a bit of a fly round before the display? Though I didn't see any tether straps or transmitter.
    Edit: Got dates mixed up - on next week.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 frostfrosty

It sounds very much like a Peregrine falcon to me. I spot them regularly all over the country. The 3rd pic in your link backs this up too.

It might have been hunting when you saw it and the rapid wing beats used to climb really suggested Peregrine to me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Thanks Frosty. I had kind of ruled out PF due to the brownish back. Though this was with a bright blue sky background and from quite a distance. Definitely didn't look grey/blue though. Way to early for juv's I think?

I'll just have to keep an eye out for it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

Last years Peregrines will still have juvenile plumage for another couple of months!

Advertisement