Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New music

Options
  • 23-04-2011 11:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭

Hey,

I'm basically looking for some music suggestions. I'm bored of my current tunes and looking for some new ones.

To give you an idea of what I'm into, my iPod consists of beady eye, coldplay, the courteemers, the enemy, green day, glasvegas, the jam, kasabian, the killers, the libertines, new order, oasis, the script, the smiths, the stone roses.

As you can see it's mainly indie/alternative but I'm open to most suggestions. Thanks.

Btw I hope this is in the right place :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

How about Talking Heads, the Flaming Lips, And so I Watch You from Afar?

I'm not really into indie myself, but you say you're open to suggestions and these are fairly accessible bands imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭James2693

JBnaglfar wrote: »
    How about Talking Heads, the Flaming Lips, And so I Watch You from Afar?

I'm not really into indie myself, but you say you're open to suggestions and these are fairly accessible bands imo.

Thanks, il give them a listen! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

Here are a couple of vids if you want to check them out:

I like that second song:D not sure about the first one though. thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

James2693 wrote: »
    I like that second song:D not sure about the first one though. thanks!

Oh it'll grow on you. No music collection is complete without some Talking Heads! :D

If you're after alternative/indie/rock type stuff, I'd suggest:

Joy Division (especially since you already have New Order)
    Interpol
    Primal Scream
    Pixies
    The Drums
    The Strokes
    Yeah Yeah Yeahs

There's hundreds more, these are all just off the top of my head. They're all pretty accessible and not a million miles from what you already have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Best thing to do is download the lastfm radio thingie and go from there imo. I'm not sure if it's still free but I remember getting so many artists from it when I first got it.

Better option that asking for more vanilla entry level bands I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

From the list of bands on your ipod i think we've similar enough tastes.
    So look out for the following :
    Broken Bells
    The Drums
    Bombay Bicycle Club
    The Rifles
    The Shins
    The XX

Cant go wrong :D

Kold wrote: »
    Best thing to do is download the lastfm radio thingie and go from there imo. I'm not sure if it's still free but I remember getting so many artists from it when I first got it.

Better option that asking for more vanilla entry level bands I reckon.

It's not. :( You have like a 30 track free trial; after that you've to pay €3 a month or something to subscribe.

If you click on an artists profile, though, it lists similar artists. So you can always check them out on Youtube without using up your 30 tracks, I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

It's not. :( You have like a 30 track free trial; after that you've to pay €3 a month or something to subscribe.

If you click on an artists profile, though, it lists similar artists. So you can always check them out on Youtube without using up your 30 tracks, I guess.

Damn that sucks. The likes of Grooveshark and youtube playlists aren't the same really. Like... I could see it being worth €3 a month but it's hard to get people to pay for anything on the net these days. Wonder how it's worked out for them.

Kold wrote: »
    I could see it being worth €3 a month but it's hard to get people to pay for anything on the net these days. Wonder how it's worked out for them.

The most annoying thing about it is that if you live in the US, the UK or Germany you still get the radio service for free. But listeners in any other country have to pay the subscription.

They had to give refunds, however, when they started dicking around and removing some of the custom subscriber-only stations:
    http://www.last.fm/stationchanges2010

I've given up trying to follow how the damn thing works; all I use it for now is to keep track of whatever I listen to on Windows Media Player!

Thanks everyone. There seems to be some really good suggestions here:)

Advertisement