Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY stone wall garden bed help/advice

Options
  • 23-04-2011 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭

Hey. Thinking of sprucing up my boring all concrete garden with some flowers, plants and what have you, but have nowhere to put them. So I was thinking of building a little bed for them. Was thinking of something like...two feet high and six by two feet....roughly. The back and one side would be a block wall.

So does anyone know a site, or blog where i could find somewhat detailed instructions? Done a quick google search and the guides i seen are quite thin, they don't go into how i would tie the stone to the block wall for instance. Do I have to make any adjustments for drainage and that sort of thing.

Any and all advice appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

builder structural walls with block c/w drainage holes and face with stone, much easier

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

Yeah, that makes almost no sense to me. Ta all the same though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

el dude wrote: »
    Yeah, that makes almost no sense to me. Ta all the same though.

You seem to want to build a raiser planter bed made of solid stone wall on two remaining sides (front and one end) in the corner of your garden (existing block wall providing the two other sides), correct?

What Carlow52 was suggesting is to make the planter from blocks too, then fix cosmetic stone to the visible sides to give the appearance of a solid stone wall. It's a common way of doing it. Many of the modern "stone" houses you see are built using this method.
    Since you said your garden is all concrete, and therefore implies no exposed soil to drain into, his suggestion to incorporate drainage holes into the walls is a good one and will help prevent your beds turning into muddy pools after a week of rain.

If you want a genuine solid stone wall then you need to source suitable stone and that's likely to be more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

You could also consider planting into pots or troughs. It's a good choice especially if your garden is small, you avoid the hassle of building, they're easier to handle and you can move them around to suit whatever conditions your plants need.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

slimjimmc wrote: »
    You could also consider planting into pots or troughs. It's a good choice especially if your garden is small, you avoid the hassle of building, they're easier to handle and you can move them around to suit whatever conditions your plants need.

Thanks an interesting idea. I am doing something similar (eventually!) at the back of our house, it will be circa 2ft high and I was thinking of incorporating a flower bed every 6/8ft.

How would you do the pots/troughs?

• Advertisement
Advertisement