Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using Wrestling to Advertise a Product

Options
  • 23-04-2011 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭

I noticed an advertisment at a bus-stop today for the Cadbury chocolate bar 'snack', with a large 'Cadbury Snack Down' logo.

I thought to myself ha that sounds a bit like Smackdown, when it registered to me that they were running a competition featuring 3 snack bars in a wrestling match (called The Tea-Break Tussle, sounds like something Santino would be a part of), and the customer has to guess the winning wrestling move.

What are your thought about a company using wrestling to advertise a product? And how many people would actually 'get' the Smackdown/Snack-Down play on words?

As much as I love wrestling, if I owned a business, I would avoid any wrestling related advertising campaign. Especially in a country where Soccer and GAA are head and shoulders above wrestling as a sport.

Wonder if WWE have a case for a lawsuit here, Cadburys even use the exclamation mark at the end!

http://snack.cadbury.ie/Default.aspx

SNACKDOWN_logo.jpg0a1532436ccfabda1085e32220937410.21151.jpeg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

ANYONE would make the connection between snack down and smackdown. And just in case, they throw the idea that three bars are wrestling.

GAA and Soccer are done to death anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

Charisteas wrote: »
    As much as I love wrestling, if I owned a business, I would avoid any wrestling related advertising campaign. Especially in a country where Soccer and GAA are head and shoulders above wrestling as a sport.
    Depends on the business. As this is aimed predominantly at children i don't see the problem.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I must submit that GLAAD and Anti-Smoking have been using WWE to advertise themselves for free lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

jaykhunter wrote: »
    I must submit that GLAAD and Anti-Smoking have been using WWE to advertise themselves for free lately.

As true as that may be, wouldn't they be non-profit organisations though?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

• Advertisement
Advertisement