Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History

Options
  • 23-04-2011 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭

OK, i have a range of notes n essays i was gonna learn off since we've only bou 7 weeks left and im stressed off my game! - I need advice as i need an A1 in history !

Heres what i am gonna learn off !

Irish History

1916 rising - causes and conseq, events, why it was a failure, compared to WOI
    War of Indep - events
    Anglo Irish Treaty 1921 -strengths n weakness of delegation, main events
    Civil war - Events
    Cumann na Ngaed - Challenges , law n order, economy
    Belfast and ww2 - the impact

*no fianna fáil, no sinn fein, no anglo irish relations or nort ireland
    *should i learn 3rd home rule bill or waste of time?

Europe -d&d
    Hitler foreign policy (causes of ww2)
    fascism growth in europe
    Hitler: His rise, propaganda, anti semitism
    German Economy in inter war years and hitler
    Hitler successes @ ww2
    Hitler relationship with mussolini
    Mussolini - rise to power
    Stalin and show trails
    Stalin economy n society

*notes on russian civil war??

US
    Im not sure cause i took this on new this year as im repeating ! What would be my best bet for this section ? i did religon n mass media essay in the pre

Division n relignment
    Hungarian uprising
    EEC 45-72
    Communist economies
    Role of women?

Then , Coleraine and Apprentice Boys....

Ok, im in a rock and hard place with the us and div n rel!

Which one would be easier at this stage to do?
    Anyone have any recommendations on what other topics are more likely?
    Help please :confused: Im in search of a steady plan for the next few weeks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 paperplane93

Can I ask why you're leaving out fianna fail and sinn fein ? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 He looks like that fella Harvey Keitel

LC2010HIS wrote: »
    Division n relignment
    Hungarian uprising
    EEC 45-72
    Communist economies
    Role of women?

Have I left out an entire section of the course? :confused:

The three case studies for the US section:
    • Montgomery Bus Boycott
    • Vietnam War
    • Moon Landings

A question about one of those has to come up in some shape or form. I'd do all US Foreign Policy too, things like the Cuban Missile Crisis are very straightforward

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

For the USA section it's probably best to focus on the civil rights movement and the Vietnam War.
    So questions such as:
    "Why did the US intervene in Vietnam?",
    "What were the reasons for the US pulling out of the Vietnam War?",
    "How did the Vietnam War exemplify the United States' policy of communist containment?",
    "How significant was the Montgomery Bus Boycott to the campaign for civil rights in the US?",
    "What role did religious figures play in the development of the civil rights movement?",
    "Discuss how the Vietnam War affected the credibility gap in the US in the 1960s/1970s.",
    "How did the civil rights movement improve the lives of African-Americans in the US?",
    "Discuss the positive and negative aspects of Lyndon Johnson's presidency.",

Apart from that, it'd be good to know something on the Cuban Missile Crisis/Berlin Blockade and perhaps the Moon Landing or McCarthyism for a wider range of options.

For the Irish history section I would imagine that the questions will be fairly predictable. I wouldn't learn as much stuff as you've listed, I'd look at things like:
    "In what ways was the Easter Rising a success, and in what ways was it a failure?",
    "How did the Easter Rising give birth to a new generation of independence fighters in Ireland?",
    "How did the Anglo-Irish Treaty negotiations effectuate a split in the Sinn Fein party?",
    "What consequences did the Irish Civil War bring to the country's struggle for democracy?",
    "Who handled Anglo-Irish relations better, W.T.Cosgrave or Eamon de Valera?",
    "Which government contributed more to state building in post-Civil War Ireland, Cumann na nGaedheal or Fianna Fail?",

Learning the Third Home Rule Bill is a waste of time, yes.

The Dictatorship and Democracy questions are probably the most varied, but tend to be quite general so knowing a bit of everything should get you through fine. I'd look into technological advancements during World War II - very, very easy marks. Also things like:
    "What were the main social/economic changes in Great Britain and/or Germany during the interbellum?",
    Anything on the rise of Fascism that relates to Mussolini/Hitler/Franco.
    Anything on totalitarianism, propaganda or terror that relates to Hitler/Stalin.
    Domestic policy of Mussolini or foreign policy of Hitler.
    Weimar Germany/Vichy France/Anglo-American pop-culture if you're really bothered.
    Church-state relations in Fascist Italy/Germany?

Russian economy was tipped to come up at some conference this year, apparently, so it might be worth looking over some statistics and such to make sure you can write a lot.

Then you're left with the DBQ, which for this year is the Northern Irish course, I hope you know this, since you're studying on your own, because you're covering four sections for the essay questions, but you'll only have to do three.
    Coleraine is most likely to come up there, so for that basically "How did the Coleraine situation illustrate the discrimination of nationalists?", or "What was the reaction of the nationalist community in Derry to the government's decision to allocate a new university in Coleraine?", etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭C__MC

Surely a question on, what impact did ww2 have on economy and society in the south and north of ireland is due an apperannce. Vietnam came up last year so it will prob be the civil rights movement and maybe the decline of the coldwar. Hope sunningdale dosent come up :rolleyes:. I need a B1 so i hope the questions are reasonable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

Thanks for all the feedback!

But thing is, im torn between Division and relignment AND The Us

I dunno which one to do!

I did Div and rel last year, found it hard and boring. Havent done the US yet.
    Our repeat teacher does the US.

Does anyone have any recommendations on Div and Rel?

Or should i write all the essays recommended above for the US?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 CKehoe

I'm freaking out about this history paper I'm tryin 2 narrow it down any suggestions the books i have studied are Dictartorship and Democracy(Europe), Pursuit of Sovereignty and the Impact of Partition(Irish) and The United States and the World(US) and for my Document I'm maimly studling the Coleraine University as it appeared in my mocks i am Higher Level but am failing I don't want to drop as doing 3 OL already :confused:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

I am a long time out of college, but pls dont study by means of learning off essays.

You willl I hope have made notes and summaries from your reading. Review these, and reduce some to headings.

No idea what topic to study. but anything topical about 6 to 12 months a go is likely

good luck

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

Closing this since the OP has long since finished their exam. ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement