Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayhem signs new deal with UFC

Options
  • 22-04-2011 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭

Jason "Mayhem" Miller is going back to the UFC.

The popular middleweight has signed a new multi-fight agreement with the organization, Miller's manager Ryan Parsons confirmed with MMA Fighting.

The 30-year-old Miller (24-7, 1 NC) was able to sign with the UFC due to the fact that his contract with Strikeforce had expired. No word just yet on when his first fight back inside the Octagon will take place.

"Mayhem" had not competed for Strikeforce since last April when he defeated Tim Stout on the undercard of Strikeforce: Nashville. He went on to defeat one of his MMA idols, Kazushi Sakuraba, at DREAM.16 in September, which stands as his last fight to date.

He was close to returning to action against the likes of Nick Diaz and Tim Kennedy, but for various reasons, some even still unknown, those fights never materialized.

The star of MTV's Bully Beatdown last fought for the UFC in 2005 when he dropped a unanimous decision to Georges St-Pierre. Two years later, Miller returned to Zuffa, defeating Hiromitsu Miura via unanimous decision at WEC 27.

Miller was a guest on a recent episode of The MMA Hour, and he appeared excited at the prospect of facing some of the UFC's best middleweights.

"I will beat the brakes off most of the guys in the middleweight divisions in the UFC," he said. "I guaran-damn-tee it."
    http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/04/22/jason-mayhem-miller-signs-with-ufc/

I think we may have one of our TUF coaches. Didnt know his Strikeforce deal had expired.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Very pleased with this news. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

Just read that over in Junkie there, very good news, looking forward to who they put up against him first, hopefully Bisping, he is coming in to his prime in the last 18 months or so, a different animal that went the distance with GSP back in the day.

Mayhem and Bisping in next TUF perhaps? it would/could be alot more interesting that this seasons.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Id say Mayhem would drive Bisping absolutely round the bend :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

Id say Mayhem would drive Bisping absolutely round the bend :pac:

Don't doubt it, if they every got in a cage i'd throw a few quid on Bisping getting subbed also.

It would be a great move to set him up on TUF as he is very marketable after beatdownbully which is very entertaining fluff it has to be said :p(guilty pleasure)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭SanoVitae

I actually see him getting squashed up against the cage and getting bloodied up again ala his fight against GSP. I don't think the cage suits his style.

I don't like Bisping but I think he'd beat Miller, using his wrestling to keep it standing and picking him apart for a UD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,166 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Perfect guy for TUF. But arent they trying to set up a Wandi v Bisping TUF?

Anyway, i've always liked Mayhem but my like for him has always frustrated me. He's always a guy who threatens to be Top 10 but can never really make it against the big guys!

I'm hoping he can put together a few wins in the UFC. I'd definitely love to see him beat Bisping...... but I wouldnt be too sure! i'll have to wait for Sonnen to come back to the real world

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

Delighted Miller Vs Sonnen as TUF coaches would be pure excellence. I think they trained together for a time but that may not stop it from happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

It is hard not to view this signing as one the UFC are using to fuel PPV buys. He was the most well known fighter that wasn't in the UFC as of yesterday.

Will he be a MW champion: NO
    Top 5 fighter: It is possible but he will definitely be a top 10 fighter, whether he can be a top 5 fighter remains to be seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

Xlami wrote: »
    Delighted Miller Vs Sonnen as TUF coaches would be pure excellence. I think they trained together for a time but that may not stop it from happening.

I heard something on the radio about Sonnen being refused a re-issue of his license, the UFC had planned to have him coach against Bisping in TUF. So they've brought Miller in instead to coach it.

No source other than MMA Junkie Radio but I'd say that's the story.

Pretty wise move on their part, he'll hold his own in the UFC and bring his MTV tv show fanbase with him.

Edit- Why Sonnen won't be coaching link

• Registered Users Posts: 29,682 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Excellent news that he'll be back, even better that he'll be a TUF coach. Such a pity Sonnen isn't doing it, would be TV Gold, as they say. Seriously don't wanna see Bisping as a coach again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Onearmedbandit

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Excellent news that he'll be back, even better that he'll be a TUF coach. Such a pity Sonnen isn't doing it, would be TV Gold, as they say. Seriously don't wanna see Bisping as a coach again.

At least he was entertaining if not sometimes annoying. Compared to the current season it was TV gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,166 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

At least he was entertaining if not sometimes annoying. Compared to the current season it was TV gold.

Compared to the current season, Eastenders is TV Gold!

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Diego Smartly

First fight will be in July Vs Aaron Simpson at UFC 132.

According to UFC Twitter.

Just had a look at UFC 132 and saw Bader is fighting Tito. Hope Tito gets KO'd into retirement!

Hope Miller gets to keep his crazy entrances

Oh_Noes wrote: »
    I heard something on the radio about Sonnen being refused a re-issue of his license, the UFC had planned to have him coach against Bisping in TUF. So they've brought Miller in instead to coach it.

No source other than MMA Junkie Radio but I'd say that's the story.

Pretty wise move on their part, he'll hold his own in the UFC and bring his MTV tv show fanbase with him.

Edit- Why Sonnen won't be coaching link

Yeah that would make sense. Have you any idea where you can get links to his MMA show? I've never seen an episode and wouldn't mind seeing what it's like.

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Just had a look at UFC 132 and saw Bader is fighting Tito. Hope Tito gets KO'd into retirement!

Hope Miller gets to keep his crazy entrances

Tbh I'm going with the long odds of Tito winning, Couture beating Machida, setting up a Tito/Couture 2 fight that they could both retire on. If only fairytales come true :)

Miller certainly has the shenanigans but he has the game to back it up, he'll be a contender in the ufc WW division off the bat.

Strikeforce wasted Miller, he had Sheilds beat if it wasn't for three seconds, and now Sheilds is fighting for the title.

Crappy that there's no number two organisation anymore, but I'm sure one will emerge. Fun times to be an MMA fan.

Xlami wrote: »
    Yeah that would make sense. Have you any idea where you can get links to his MMA show? I've never seen an episode and wouldn't mind seeing what it's like.

Bully Beatdown?

Kinda crappy MTV reality show but has a few giggles in there somewhere. Miller hosts it very well ansd fights in an episode.

Miller is at Middleweight in UFC so no chance of a rematch with Shields unless one moves up or down (doubtful). I thought Miller would have prefered WW but if it was that easy, he would have moved down to fight Nick Diaz in SF. I want to see him take on Bisping (and win) that will shoot him up to the top fairly fast, where he deserves to be but I dunno about taking Silva.

Might even see a rematch between Miller and Sonnen

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

He's got a fight lined up already for ufc 132 against Aaron Simpson at middleweight.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Mayhem-Meets-Simpson-in-Octagon-Return-at-UFC-132-31831

edit:ah, I see Diego more or less had it earlier.

Nice bit of matchmaking there, Simpson is pretty solid. Should put Miller in the whole Leben/Bisping/Wanderlei/Belfort section of the division if he wins it.

• Advertisement

Oh_Noes wrote: »
    Bully Beatdown?

Kinda crappy MTV reality show but has a few giggles in there somewhere. Miller hosts it very well ansd fights in an episode.

Yeah found the episode on youtube with Jeremy Horn. Hardly compelling viewing but an alright gimmick. Horn was professional as ever in the fake MMA fight or whatever it was.

Advertisement