Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

foal markings

Options
  • 22-04-2011 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭

i have not seem my foal for a couple of months shes a yearling now. but when i seen her last she had paint marking or father is an american paint horse and her mum a bay tbx. she no longer has the same markings at all her white seems to have been replaced with mainly bay. im wondering if the ones who are looking after are trying to pull a fast one. from what i know their markings should not change that much am i right or wrong any input would be helpful

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

White turning to bay? So is she now a bay and chestnut colouring or? I don't think that's possible :confused:
    If her markings are in the exact same places...then maybe, although, it seems doubtful.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I don't see how or why the yearling's carers would change her coat colour so I'm a little confused as to what is meant by pull a fast one.

Colour change in markings from foal to yearling is possible. I know a filly who went from skewbald to piebald. I don't think it's that odd that she changed. After all, her mother was bay. It would be different if her markings went black or something along those lines.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

Was your foal microchipped when she was having her markings done?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

sup_dude wrote: »
    I don't see how or why the yearling's carers would change her coat colour so I'm a little confused as to what is meant by pull a fast one.

It's possible that the OP is worried that the people taking care of their foal swapped it for another one in the hope that the OP won't notice.
    sup_dude wrote: »
    It would be different if her markings went black or something along those lines.

How? The markings have gone from white to bay which is pretty significant.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Magenta wrote: »
    It's possible that the OP is worried that the people taking care of their foal swapped it for another one in the hope that the OP won't notice.
    Thanks for clearing that up :) The post was a little confusing

Magenta wrote: »
    How? The markings have gone from white to bay which is pretty significant.
    Well the mother was bay, so genetically, it's in the foal. Black, however, is not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 rstax

Well the mother was bay, so genetically, it's in the foal. Black, however, is not.

Something can carry a gene without it being expressed(a bay mare for example could technically carry a black gene, and pass it on to its offspring - just as likely to happen as passing on the bay gene) ..

Anyway, as for your problem roxychix, it does seem a little bit suspicious alright! I have limited experience with a small number of foals, and don't claim to be an expert but I have certainly never heard, or seen a colour change like that. (Only going from darker-lighter) I would probably ask a breeder/someone you know with a huge amount of experience with foals about this, as they may have seen such a phenomenon! Hope it gets sorted for you :/ .. It's a shame that we can't trust anyone these days isn't it? :(

Advertisement